Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pop quiz

Options
Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
I have seen better HO work and worse pro work, sad to say.

I know you can do outstanding work even when Mr. Chivas is holding the torch for you :)
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    See how good you are

Who did these solder joints?

HO or Pro?

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Geez I WONDER Mark,

I worked for a guy who had his own business, and always did this! I`d "rough-in" a new house for the drainage, then he would do the WP like that,,,,,wonder why I quit?

Dave
  • maine rick
    maine rick Member Posts: 107
    Options

HO
    the tages are still on the shut-off's
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Gee wiz Mark

Pretty much a 50/50 guess here, most HO's I would venture wouldn't rip off the paper tags off the valves because they might think they have to stay there, you know like the mattress tags! Then again, many guys out there who would call themselves "Pro" would see that solder dumping ground as a good job so long as she don't leak!!!

Ok, then again, most HO solder jobs contain fittings burnt beyond recognition....

OK, my guess is that it was a newbie apprentice?

Hehe

Cosmo
  • Pat Clark_2
    Pat Clark_2 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Unfortunately

This could go either way. I have had to teach a lot of techs how to solder, some of them just never get it.

I have seen a lot worse from both homeowners and "techs"

Pat (Alaska Time) Clark
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    HO

Whomever did this has to have put the tags back on after soldering. I cannot imagine not one singed tag with that many valves.

My guess is homeowner, because what pro would put the tags back on ball valves?
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member Posts: 174
    Options
    valves all closed

I wonder if they tried to solder the joints with all the valves closed.
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    HO

gotta be, the PRO's know you need to use anti-gravity flux and solder for those type of installations.
  • its the mr handyman !

The handyman... Thinking his work will looks good with them tags on it after tighten the melted packing nuts... Met a handyman said he redoing the his customer's heating system, relocating the baseboards on the gravity convertion system with pump...I asked him what size repiping? He said the same size as the old main and making a lot of trips to home depot to have the pipes cut ....
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    Lemme Guess

The Plumbing Company working on the same house you are doing the Heating on? That's why they invented Pex so losers like this can't embarrass themselves.

That's horrible, maybe they left the rags at home. Looks like they put flux on with a Wagner Power Sprayer to get runs like that! C'mon where's your work?

Here's another sample of their work... (what the heck is that set-up, the water must be dizzy before it gets down the drain)

Rick
  • amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    Hard Call!!!

Hard call!!! If I judged by my expectations as to how a professional's solder joints SHOULD LOOK, I would have to say that there was no way a professional soldered that way! However, I know other "professionals" that would say the joints were perfectly acceptable the way they are, provided they didn't leak. You know the type speed always overtakes pride in workmanship! However, these joints look a little bit better than what an average H/O would do. The piping is fairly plumb and level, and there was obviously some attempt to wipe the joints, poor as it was, therefore, I'm going to guess that handyman or a non-plumbing/HVAC tradesperson working out of their trade, did these.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Hey Rick....

Where are the arrows?..you know, the ones that tell the water which way to go. Pitiful at best.

I'm guessing that the original picture was a contractor in a rush. Like everyone else said..."It's holding....it's good". Chris
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    HO or Pro?

Pro.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • john_83
    john_83 Member Posts: 76
    Options

My guess would be abuilder contractor who is tired of waiting for us plumbers
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    Looks like a Plumber

One of those fellows who believe joints need to be wiped.

If you have to wipe a joint, it has too much solder on it.

Solder costs money. I use just enough. No need to wipe.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options

Done by a pro. No homeowner around here could do that good. It's not pretty but I have seen a lot worse.

ED
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    what the....

heck is that!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cosmo
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Easy... .

The Butler Did it! *~/:)

and Only because i Love this picture....i think he had Help...from these two guys....
  • amhplumb_2
    amhplumb_2 Member Posts: 62
    Options

Al, I apologize, I meant NON-HVAC tradesperson!!! After re-reading my post My "non-plumbing/HVAC" could be taken that HVAC people could not solder, not my intention at all!
    I also agree with you about too much solder. In my post, using the right amount was part of my expectations!
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Pro it is

been "in the business" for 40 years.

I watched him soldering yesterday. Pretty bad.

Mark H

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

I guess you might say the guy has a plumbing "practice". Hopefully some day he'll get it right.
  • Eric Johnson
    Eric Johnson Member Posts: 174
    Options
    As a homeowner....

I'll cop to wiping my joints, but not to making a mess like that.C'mon, give us a little more credit than that. It ain't that hard.

That said, I'd say it was a pro in a hurry. Looks to me like someone who knew what they were doing, but not inclined, for whatever reason, to make it look good.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Of course it's a pro

And for sure, he's not billing T&M (;-o)
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    My guess

Someone who does piping for a living did that. That fact however, does not make him a professional.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I am a Master Plumber

and I always wipe my joints and I'll bet the look better thab Al's ... Not slam on you Al but I don't belive wiping a joint is unproffesional. Well done and wiped and you'll be hard pressed to see the solder.

Its funny how Plumbers get this rap as not being able to do heating. Around my neck of the woods the Better jobs are done by plumbers and the most of the oil companys do the hack work. I know its different in other parts of the country.

I think we do a deservice when we place people in groups.

Scott Milne
    Master Plumber Lic# 9852

• Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

When I was a union Steamfitter apprentice they taught us that if the joint dripped it was full!

Obviously I'm a union rebel.
  • Lurkin' Murkin'
    Lurkin' Murkin' Member Posts: 136
    Options

Soldering is an art! When I used to go to art galleries and offer my uncensored opinion of the work of "modern" artists, I was told to open my mind and try to perceive what that artist is expressing. So now I just sit outside and admire the pigeon poop on the steps. Hope that helped...
This discussion has been closed.