Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

victorian house, radiant or hot water radiater heating

Options
ALH_4
ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
<a href="http://www.stelradcanada.com/"target="_blank">Stelrad Canada</a>

Comments

• doug o'connor
    doug o'connor Member Posts: 17
    Options
    radiant or hot water radiater heating

I have a victorian that has 12' ceilings that are insulated.
    I have a polaris 34 gals 100,00 btu water heater with a 8 port manifold. Should I install radiant heating under the floor or radiaters?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Options
    A Lot of \"Depends\"

Adult diapers being an option within that if you so choose :P

It depends on the extent of renovation, the heat loss of the building and the heat loss of each room relative to the available floor area for radiant. A high heat loss room with limited floor area says "radiator" to me, for example.

No reason you cannot combine the two, radiators in one room and radiant floors in others or even radiators and radiant floor in the same room to supplement one another.

The extent of renovation is key. If it is a "gut" renovation and floors are coming up then you have a viable economic shot at a underlayment system for example.

If you are restoring the home to period decor then cast iron radiation may be the way to go, properly sized for output at lower water temperatures.

You have options but start with a room by room heat loss and inventory of floor areas available for radiant output. More to it than that for sure, but it is where you must start.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    What Brad said, and...

Stelrad makes some really nice steel classic column radiators. They are a little retro and a little modern at the same time.
  • Dread
    Dread Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Victorian House

I just bought a Queene Ann victorian and decided to do a heat loss on the building. It seems that the prior owner insulated the walls on the exterior. I still did a heat loss based on the size of the rooms, taking consideration of the size of the windows and doors. The H-22 Gama heat loss guide is a good tool.
This discussion has been closed.