Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

outdoor tankless & boiler

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
This setup looks great, but I do not see how the piping will be weather resistant. Is an enclosure built around the outside piping? What r-value? I will be needing two zones. In my scenario, the NO contact would run my primary circ for heating needs, and the taco controller would operate the zone circs, correct?

Thanks,
Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Timco

Looking for an 80K BTU boiler...gas...outdoor model. Also need a tankless outdoor unit, about 8 GPM or so. Laars & Crown (my two favorite makers) do not offer outdoor units, and rianni tankless makes an outdoor but $$$$. Any thoughts?? 1000 sq' house, adobe lined walls, going BB heat. Had 2 floor furnaces, which are NASTY!!! No room inside for mechanical, and no basement.

Thanks, Tim
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Use one unit w plate exchanger

Noritz makes a unit /cabinet to recess in wall or mont outdoors. Your 80,000 btu number seems a bit high on the heat side. If the house is so small, why not use one of these type units with a plate exchanger for your hot water. Sounds like there's only room for one bath.

Check out this diagram. It might work for you. Certainly won't take up a whole lot of space. This link will take you to a model you might want to consider

http://www.noritz.com/n069mod.html
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    A boiler outside in Utah, with DHW!?

comes a time when it may be better to pass on some jobs :)

No closets? Where is the HW tank located now?

If space isn't available anywhere inside....

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

Small house. I could sell him on a closet, I guess but he really wants it outside the living space. Nice area, will support the cost of a good system. Currently the WH is in the corner of the kitchen, as many rentals with no basements are. The floor furnaces look like they could kill someone any minute. Maybe an attic install is in order if there is space?

Tim
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    The Tagaki

TM1 can be used outdoors.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Check out the Rinnai or Bradford White

Everhot. They have an "outdoor" model and an insulated pipe cover for the piping; as well as temperature activated warming and drain-down. I havn't tried one yet but supposedly they have many out there in places like Montana and they claim success with the design.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Is there no possible room in the budget for a true wall-hung combi-unit mod-con?
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Wall hung combi condensing

Laars Mascott is a wall hung combination condensing boiler with a plate exchanger for domestic water. Have sold 4 units so far this season - no issues. See attached spec

One customer used in a large broom closet in the kitchen of an apartment.

Glenn
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Outdoors - Noritz

These units are only good to 10F outdoors so unless you have a back up generator and some other means to protect it, may want to reconsider.

They make a nice recessed enclosure for a recessed in the wall installtions.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Revised Drawing

Here is a revised drawing with wiring of conventional zone valves using a transformer. I had this drawing made with an Argo 822. If you want to use Taco, I can re-draw for you.

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.