Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Running Out of Hot Water!

Options
J. Reid
J. Reid Member Posts: 9
A tankless WH would eliminate the running out of ht water problems and the limited space for a tank. I've had very good luck with Noritz brand tankless

Comments

• Chris_74
    Chris_74 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Running out of hot water!

My house has loop hot-water heating. More often than not we run out of hot water for baths and showers (summer and winter). Is there anything that can be done to improve this situation (There does not seem to be enough room in our furnace room for a hot water heater)?

Thanks
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Coil

First you should check to see if you have a bad mix valve or have a bypass....

Second use low volume shower heads and run water slower when filling tub...

Third... have the coil cleaned..
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    running out of hot water

You didn't mention how you heat your water now, but I assume you have a coil in the boiler?!? If this is the case, have a technician check the mixing or tempering valve, and make sure that the flow is properly restricted to the capacity of your coil. This is a problem we often see.....more water going through the coil than it can produce. There are all kinds of options and new technology these days for making lots of hot water. Call in a pro to look your system over and provide you with some ideas.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Chris_74
    Options
    Running Out of Hot Water!

I saw an add for a tankless but it looked like it was for gas only. Are there ones for oil? And how much do they generally cost? Is something that can be installed by myself or would need to be professionally installed?
  • Chris_74
    Options
    Ariston electric hot water heaters

What about Ariston electric hot water heaters? Could that be an option?
  • Ken_38
    Ken_38 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I don't think the tank knows how you are heating the water. I have a oil fired steam boiler with a tank. Never run out of hot water. It does take up almost as much space as a hot water heater though.
This discussion has been closed.