Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ground Source Heat Pumps

Bryan_16
Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
> install Geo in Idaho...Geo units have been <BR>
> installed 114 miles North of the artic circle and <BR>
> within 1 Deg of the Equator.<BR>
> <BR>
> Before you take <BR>
> on this project get IGSHPA certified for Geo. <BR>
> Then get the manufactures training. I would also <BR>
> find someone that has done a lot of loops...Loop <BR>
> length WILL vary with different types of soil and <BR>
> rock. If the loop is wrong the Geo will be wrong. <BR>
> Geo is a different beast and MUST be set up <BR>
> properly. If done right Geo will give you the <BR>
> MOST efficient source of Heating, Cooling and Hot <BR>
> Water available. In the 5 years we have been <BR>
> doing Geo I've had ONE service call...for a <BR>
> plugged filter.<BR>
> <BR>
> We have installed more than 50 <BR>
> units during the past 5 years. Of that, about <BR>
> half a dozen are Radiant installs. The last <BR>
> Radiant job was 7000 sqft finished with a 3 stall <BR>
> garage. The job has twin water to water geo <BR>
> units, a 50 Gal buffer tank, Air handler and 19 <BR>
> zones (including the Garage).<BR>
> <BR>
> Good Luck <BR>
> Bergy <BR>
<BR>

Comments

• Big Idahoan_2
    Big Idahoan_2 Member Posts: 3
    Ground Source Heat Pump in Cold Climates?

I work with a mechanical contractor in southeast Idaho. We have done a lot of radiant homes and snow melt systems over the past several years. We were just approached by a homeowner that wants to do a radiant heat system using a ground source heat pump. this system would also be used as their coolong system in the summer. We've never installed one of these systems before. We were hoping that someone could help us witrh a few questions we have. How well do these systems work in a climate that gets to
    -20 in the winter. Are they that efficient versus the investment, or would a radiant heat system with a high efficiency boiler be a better option?

thanks in advance for the help.

Barrett
  • Wayne_16
    Wayne_16 Member Posts: 130
    go for it

size units accordingly, don't cheap on the loop fields. there is a never ending supply of btus in the ground. Econar equipment is a good choice. I know there are others out there too. Econar will help you and answer your questions.

Todays snowfall 5-8 inches. Where was the snow during christmas and new years time? oh well, we enjoy the snow when it falls.

Have a good day.
  • Brent_2
    Brent_2 Member Posts: 81
    geo

You can install water to water geothermal units. I believe the highest water temp they can make is 120°. Usually a storage tank is used so you get consistent supply temp and long run times. For cooling you can use separate units or use the water to water units to make chilled water. Then you have the chilled water piped to some type of fan coil units. The control system can get interesting.
    As for payback it will depend on the costs of electric and whatever else you would use.
    Often times it depends on some other reason the owner gives. Like I don't want to worry about propane or oil deliveries or I don't want to see condensing units around my house.

Brent
  • Craig Bergman
    Craig Bergman Member Posts: 84
    We have done

about half a dozen Radiant/Geo homes here in Iowa.
    The last one was 7000 sqft finished with 3 stall garage.
    Twin Water to Water units, 50 Gal buffer tank, Air Handler and 19 zones. (including the Garage) Last month it cost $156.00 to heat the home and garage.

Before you get into this job I would recomend getting certified in geo AND get the factory training!! The Geo side is a different beast and MUST be set up properly.

If done right Geo will give you the MOST efficient heating and cooling and very little service. We have been doing Geo for 5 years and I have only had one service call on more than 50 units! (A leaking schraider(sp?) valve)
  • Craig Bergman
    Yes you can

install Geo in Idaho...Geo units have been installed 114 miles North of the artic circle and within 1 Deg of the Equator.

Before you take on this project get IGSHPA certified for Geo. Then get the manufactures training. Geo is a different beast and MUST be set up properly. If done right Geo will give you the MOST efficient source of Heating, Cooling and Hot Water available. In the 5 years we have been doing Geo I've had ONE service call...for a plugged filter.

We have installed more than 50 units during the past 5 years. Of that, about half a dozen are Radiant installs.
    The last Radiant job was 7000 sqft finished with a 3 stall garage. The job has twin water to water geo units, a 50 Gal buffer tank, Air handler and 19 zones (including the Garage).

Good Luck

Bergy
  • Craig Bergman
    Yes you can

install Geo in Idaho...Geo units have been installed 114 miles North of the artic circle and within 1 Deg of the Equator.

Before you take on this project get IGSHPA certified for Geo. Then get the manufactures training. I would also find someone that has done a lot of loops...Loop length WILL vary with different types of soil and rock. If the loop is wrong the Geo will be wrong. Geo is a different beast and MUST be set up properly. If done right Geo will give you the MOST efficient source of Heating, Cooling and Hot Water available. In the 5 years we have been doing Geo I've had ONE service call...for a plugged filter.

We have installed more than 50 units during the past 5 years. Of that, about half a dozen are Radiant installs.
    The last Radiant job was 7000 sqft finished with a 3 stall garage. The job has twin water to water geo units, a 50 Gal buffer tank, Air handler and 19 zones (including the Garage).

Good Luck

Bergy
  • Mason
    Mason Member Posts: 102
    Geo's

We do them in Michigan too. Be glad to answer any questions we can. We are also a loop contractor.

Mason
    989-635-2665

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • definitely

take a course. even if you can't get to an IGSHPA one at least take one of the many manufacturers courses available, there are many little details to know before you do a system, don't become a geo casualty.
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    buffer tank

Last water to water that we did was an 8 ton. Mfg, Econar, required(suggested) 80 gallon tank. 10 gallons/ton seems to be standard size. Your job of 7000 ft. would require 10-15 tons in my neighborhood. How does the system work with a small tank?
This discussion has been closed.