Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cut the wall and replace the boiler

Options
Once again , it wasn't the neatest job , but everything is easy to get to , even the pumps if you can believe it . Easier than the spots they were in before .

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    These are the fun jobs

Timkin used to be the original boiler in these homes . Every one was taken out and replaced with cast iron beasties within a few years . I think this was a Blue Circle . This boiler had 3 zones connected to it . The 2nd pic is the back wall we have to remove to get this clunker out .
  • Unknown
    Options

> Timkin used to be the original boiler in these

> homes . Every one was taken out and replaced with

> cast iron beasties within a few years . I think

> this was a Blue Circle . This boiler had 3 zones

> connected to it . The 2nd pic is the back wall we

> have to remove to get this clunker out .

• Unknown
    Options
    And then there's Ken

They made these walls extra fire resistent for the Timkens . Kenny looks like he's enjoying it , huh ? You can't see it in the other pic , but all the piping was pinned against the wall - behind the boiler . Forget about fixing a leak there without cutting the wall .
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928
    Options
    What a Photo!

Dare I say it looks like the "little death"?

Hard to tell if it's pleasure or pain...

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    Options
    Master of small spaces!

Whadda ya mean, it wasn't the neatest job? It looks great from the pictures you posted.

My question is what is that gray thing in the left corner behind the boiler? ( I know this will will be a Homer Simpson "doh" slap...)

Jeff

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Unknown
    Options
    He's very

theatric , isn't he ? Looks more like the Billy Idol " Rebel Yell " .
  • Unknown
    Options
    DOH !

that's the fridge . The 1st pic in the post is the kitchen . The stove is usually there . Thanks alot Jeff , how's the heat down there in the south ?
  • Scott Kneeland
    Scott Kneeland Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Cleaning?

With the clean out on the right side how is anyone going to brush it out? Just wondering ,looks tight.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    Okay.

I see it now...

Heat? You posted a while back about it being hot (and humid) up there. It's that plus more here. I did a rooftop condenser changeout earlier in the week. I arrived at about 7 AM and was done by 11AM.

Good news is that I'm getting a great suntan, and drinking a gallon of water a day.

• Unknown
    Options
    I was wondering too

This isn't my 1st choice for a tight spot , I throw in what they tell me .

But...... if you read the Burnham instructions they specifically state it can be cleaned from the top OR the side .
  • Unknown
    Options
    It hit 100 today

We installed a boiler in a Levitt ( not this job ) . Observing that we kept going in and out all day , the homeowner decided to keep the AC off .

I gotta say that the few bucks to run the AC while we're working in the home is the best investment a customer can make . Me and Kenny were miserable , sweaty , disoriented - and it does get reflected into the work , I don't care how used to heat people can get .
  • Scott Kneeland
    Options
    Cleaning?

Your correct they can be cleaned fronm the top, however I don't think they brush out as well. I may of looked at a Weil mclain or a Peerless for that job. i would like to add that you did a very neat job for being in a broom closet

• Unknown
    Options
    Our usual choice

is the Peerless WBV . I have one under the stairs in my home . I'm looking to try out the new Burnham MPO under there , if I can ever get a firm price on the unit . Thanks Scott .
  • Scott Kneeland
    Options
    MPO

I saw them at the NAOHSM in PA. it looks top shelf however I agree, when can we get pricing? and availability? You can't sell from a empty cart.

• Jeff Lawrence_24
    Options
    heat index

Our heat index was a little over a hundred today (and yesterday and the day before). Customer actually apologized to me that I fix their AC and leave before it cools down to go fix another. Never had that happen before.

• Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Plus...

... to clean out all the secondary-pass MPO chambers really well, access to the back of the unit (to pull off the two covers) is really nice-to-have.

Ron, as always, your work amazes me. The picture of Kenny hammering the wall is priceless! The later pictures also speak for themselves...
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    Yea but

If Ron hadn't given him such a small screwdriver then he wouldn't have smacked his thumb!! :) Come on Ron ya can't make him do all the work while you play with the camera..

As alway's your work is second to none. I am so glad I do not have to deal with some of those old houses you have out there.....
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Options
    What a spot!

Another tough install looking good. One dumb question, in the "behind the wall" picture with Ken, what was the exposed copper coil used for?, kind of line one for a still, only little.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I was under the assumption

that the MPO was fully accesible and cleaned from the front . If the unit needs access from the back , I'm screwed .

Thanks alot Constantin , I always enjoy your reponses to my work . Kenny was just hammin' it up for the pic . He's a real character .
  • Unknown
    Options

I think Kenny likes breaking the wall out . It's either that or rip out the old crap from under the stairs . My personal choice would be to break the wall too . And as far as Kenny's choice of tools .... we have chisels , lump hammers , crow bars , pick axes , hammer drills . If he chooses to use a ratty old Craftsman screwdriver and a hammer with a rounded head that shoulda been traded in 10 years ago , I can't stop him . It is fun to hear him curse out inanimate objects on occasion .

Thanks alot Lchmb .
  • Unknown
    Options
    That coil

was for anti knock in the domestic pipes . But , I heard the coil would fill with water within hours and make it useless . Thanks Dale .
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ron

The MPO boilers are now in the hands of most of the distributors. I will have Venco Sales follow up on this for you if you wish. The MPO does have two cleanout plates in the rear to fully access the canopy where the third passes terminate. Any three pass boiler is going to require an ability to access the rear for cleaning. We just tried to make that procedure easier by including the cleanout plates in lieu of removing the flue pipe like other brands require. You should be able to vacuum through the third passes from the front provided your soot vac flex snorkel is small enough in diameter (about 3/4"). Nice job as usual Ron and Ken.....keep up the good work.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Ron,

As usual the "Shoehorn King" reigns!

Now, about the screwdriver as a chisel remark.....Kenny may just be on to something there. Last week we were listening to a laboror complaining about having to brick in a window for a job we are doing. The bricks are hard as nails is all I heard all day.

It took me a grand total of 2 hours to get through 2 layers of those hard puppies, with and old screwdriver and framing hammer as the tools of choice. I split the bricks right down the lines that I needed with them, and it also looks nice after getting the direct vents installed.

Glad to see Ken back on the job and enjoying life again. Chris
  • jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    ya just knew it had to be a Ron Jr job

and is that pyrobar to boot?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Top notch

Havn't posted in a while ron great to see your work you are one awesome mechinic .Do you ever crave to work with some room or would that throw you and ken completly outta balance ? Great work and of coures this was a one day wonder right peace and have a beer and a great weekend peace clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.