Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Attic

Dale
Dale Member Posts: 1,317
I have seen the safety issue evolve quite a bit in the past 25 years and I guess the real question is the one the jury would ask, "what would a reasonable person do in this situation" ? Yes there are OSHA rules that all business in theory must comply with but in reality are only enforced for larger firms. And, it is a very good idea for any contractor to request a FREE you won't get hassled Osha safety audit and to pick all the low hanging safety fruit. But, in the end, how much is a good tech worth to you and do you want to risk them for a job that a reasonable person would say is unsafe. We used to have our guys go up on a pallet and fork lift to relight or gas check a ceiling unit heater. No more, no more pipe retapes in unshored ditches over 5', no more unprotected crawling into confined spaces ect. Let the "Rusty Van" contractors have all the dangerous work. Fire the customers that present unreasonable risks.

Comments

• jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059

Do any of you guys ask for or have the customer sign a release agreement, before climbing in the attic to service a furnace or air handler??
    Seems in some attics to be a lot of liability there. Perched on the joists like a pigeon or missing the joist and stepping thru the ceiling. Thanks in advance . J.Lockard
  • Jeff Lawrence_24
    Jeff Lawrence_24 Member Posts: 593
    20 Years

Of climbing through attics before I went through my first one accidently. I offered to pay for the repair because I missed the code required walk board. The homeowner told me it was okay and paid me in full. He had his painter(?) repair the ceiling and it looked great.

Now, a helper went through one once. The fall didn't hurt him and neither did I. That was a close one.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tom_35
    Tom_35 Member Posts: 265
    Jim,

In this day and time, I would be amazed if a customer would sign it, and also amazed that it would hold up if there was a problem. I think that the people would laugh at us if we gave them a paper that said that we won't damage their property on purpose and that we're not responsible if there is an accident.

I'm in Arkansas and it seems now that the consumer is just waiting for something to happen so they can nail a contractor.

Last summer we had one of our A/C techs doing a tune-up on an air conditioner and his water hose knocked over some landscaping blocks (they kind that are beveled and are meant to have soil backing them up to hold up a retaining wall) and the blocks fell on some PVC pipes for the swimming pool pump and broke them. We repaired the PVC and restacked the blocks under the supervision of the homeowner---a brain surgeon. He swore up and down that the blocks were secure and there was nothing we could do to make him see otherwise, even after the blocks were put back up and were as wobbly as they could be.

The next day a storm came through and the wind blew the blocks down again---this time cracking his sand filter. He called his pool people and told them to put him in a new filter and send the bill to us! This sand filter was 14 years old and he was getting a new one on us. We went out to talk to him and he was extremely beligerant and he threatened to tell all the other homeowners in this large sub-division how we destroyed his property. We do a lot of work in this area and the loss of a couple of customers could run into a lot more money than what the bill was.

We contacted the pool people and told them we would pay the bill, which they discounted to us. We then told the good doctor not to call us again.

I'll watch this thread real closely to see if others have used something like you describe and if it has worked.

Tom Atchley

PS---You had an extremely good customer to take care of their ceiling themselves.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Safety first

If this were OSHA,.I mean if we were all very concious of the dangers, It would be the property owners responsability to make the job safe. That being said, If I am to do work in the attic and it seems like a gimme that a fall through or damage may occure I look at it like this. I ask the home owner to at least make it safe for me and my men. Not too much to ask when you think about it. All work invironments must be reasonably safe for the contractors that do the work. Can you amaging servicing a condenser on a split system, only to find that it is 23 foot in the air. Should have been a cat walk or something, but if you fall,...Who's fault. Money usually is the only thing everyone thinks about till somethin happens, then appologies and blaiming are on order.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    osha

Not trying to be rude, but I disagree. Its up to the contractor to make sure the job site is safe before he/she does the required work. The homeowner does not know what you need to perform your work safely, only you do!

Now granted there are extreme scenarios here.
  • Empire_2

What I meant to say was,....Bring it to the home owners attention and either include planking or plywood in the bid, or have them take care of it. You would hope they would take care of it or pay for the added safety.
  • jim lockard
    Mike

How about service calls, get called to a strange house to replace a HSI or a fan motor for a furnace in the attic. Only to discover that attic has no flooring or the skuttle hole is above the pennsylvania house dresser making the job very akward to do. Do you tell the customer get someone else ? or do you explain the problems and let him know up front that you will not assume liabilty for the existing problems? Should I start carrying a couple of 2'x4' sheets of plywood with me? What about skuttle hole trim hanging off the drywall ready to fall before you get there? For a contract job you can exclude all of these concerns on a contract, Its how you handle the small job /service call that I would like to have answers for. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Empire_2
    Nope

No I would do the call of corse. I'm not that demanding. I was thinking more along the lines if an install. Then my other thoughts apply. As far as the liability issur is concerned,..I guess be careful on that service call. I would still mention to the customer that I would appreciate if he or she could in the future put up some plywood or something. They always say of course. I hope My thoughts are understood. It's just my opinion and as always you have to feel out each customer. And as you know, accidents sometimes happen. sometimes you pay, sometimes the customer says dont worry about it... I like Thoes customers when sh-T hits the fan.
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Sure Footing

I think anyone is nuts that attempt to do a install without thowing up plywood for a safe work area.Leave it up for future service. I always thought it was code to leave safe accsess to service and proper passage for removing the appliance...And the responsability is up to the contractor...

• jim lockard
    Ed

I put down more plywood then most. I always make sure that I have at least 2 1/2 to 3 feet as a work area in front of the machine. Plus a walkway or crawlway to the equipment. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Craftsmen

I sure you do and I sure you see plenty of other @#*& work out there...You know what's going on out there...

Very few Craftsmen left in the AC trade..

And me myself still trying to hone my skills in the field. But I atleast care,my name in going on my work.....I want to do the right work......

This discussion has been closed.