Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator assembly tool

Options
Dave Stroman
Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
Does anybody know where I can get the old cast iron radiator assembly tools? I am talking about the long ones that engage the left/right nipples from the inside. Burnham has one, but for over $400 I though I would put my feelers out for another source.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• jeff_51
    jeff_51 Member Posts: 545
    Options
    thats the only one I know of

but then we don't do much in the way of radiators. Our supply house here puts rads together for us. They keep the makings in stock. We rent the smaller tools from the same supply house. If your supplier carries new rads, they may have one you can rent
  • Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    All of the vendors

I know who sell Burnham also "loan" the tool out. They aks for a huge deposit, but you get it back if you simply return the tool.

I think Governale also makes wannabe Burnham CIBB, and their tool would logically fit as well, since they both appear to be dead ringers for each other.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Options
    Right

Governale most likely comes from the same foundry, since Burnham owns Governale.
  • Ron Huber
    Ron Huber Member Posts: 121
    Options
    tool

We use door clamps. The kind you would use if making say a barn door out of ship lap pine or some other wood that you want to clamp together. you can buy the clamps (you would need four) for under $50) get ones that accept 3/4 iron pipe, WD 40 the nipples after you sand them a bit with plumbers cloth, WD the holes on the ends of the radiators that you are connecting, then just clamp them together. We have cracked sections using the Burnham tool (I have one that is collecting rust in my barn) we have jobs from time to time when we have the entire system has been specked out with baseray, the clamps are easier to use and you don't take a chance of cracking a section with that silly tool.
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 765
    Options

I do not think you understand. I am talking about threaded left/right nipples. I do not need them for new raditors. I want to try to unassemble some old radiators to remove some bad sections. Not sure if it even can be done, but I am going to try.

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.