Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PE(X) quality and price

Options
hr
hr Member Posts: 6,106
of a home are you building that the tube cost difference is that significant?

Pex and PAP has actually come down in price over the years. You should be able to get top brand, labeled, listed, tested, and warrantied heating pex or PAP for not much more than cheepo well pipe PE or fiber optic cover PE.

If you really need rock bottom prices, watch e bay.

The only product that I have used that is 100% freeze tolerant, is the rubber tube radiant products :) Or garden hose, which I have actually seen installed as radiant tubing!

Actually the old PB tube handled freeze up better than pex, from my, unfortunate, freeze up experiences.

Think I would use glycol long before I played the "what if" game with potential freeze damage issues. You'll want the other heating components protected, circs, manifolds, HX or heat sourse, etc.

hot rod

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=144&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Ken_8
    Ken_8 Member Posts: 1,640
    Options
    The house we are building in VT.

Yours truly, is contemplating doing a 180 with regard to copper vs. synthetics. "Contemplating" is the operative word here.

The retirement home construction may actually start in the next few months. I am considering plane jane PE or PB as my potable water system piping as well as heating system; which will be a combination of HWBB and radiant.

A HX will be used to protect the boiler as well as non-ferrous circulation and fittings from non-barrier O2 issues.

I would love to have your opinions on which material is least expensive, (underline least expensive) that can endure remotely possible frost damage and/or will be able to take a maximum of 160°F water temperature(s).

Assuming only 3/4, 1/2 inch diameters will be needed for both heating and potable piping, what material is appropriate as well as least expensive. I am not concerned with bending radii, expansion/contraction issues, or connectors at this time, just price and suitability.

You may also suggest one material for potable, and another for heating. Labor is out of the calculation, materials costs are the only consideration at this juncture.

Your input, please.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    I NEVER THOUGHT

I never thought I would see this day. I wonder if Mr Pex still watches this site. Ken, are you on medication?

Leo :)
  • Andrew Hagen (ALH)
    Andrew Hagen (ALH) Member Posts: 165
    Options
    When you can

buy 1/2" Mr. Pex online with free shipping at $0.39/ft I dont think you'll find anything much cheaper that's appropriate for your heating system. The margins are pretty tight at that price, especially when you take into account UPS ground shipping.

-Andrew
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Heres another option, use rehau o barrier for both.

then bang them all together with wirsbo pls fittings and O's....bag the cost of heat exchangers non ferrous and the rest of the gizmoes and save time .....you can forget to thank me because you wont be wanting to have the luxury of calling anyone over to fix either the potable or heating system....thats ok.*~/:)
  • Ken_8
    Options
    HR,

About 1600 S.F., two story with full basement underneath. ICF foundation and SIPs walls and roof.

PB was my first choice, but have yet to price any of this; which is why I posed the question here. I figured someone would have some price vs. product comparisons. But, it is Sunday, few of us are on The Wall on a hot sunny Sunday.

More insights and posts may appear with the 'morrow. Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ken_8
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thanks again for all your insights and helpful commentary.

Ken

• Unknown
    Options

*disclaimer, I sell Mr. Pex products myself, so I am biased.

That said, others mentioned it first. It's a fine product if you aren't a contractor looking for the high-end prefab manifolds and a huge product line for every situation. I would use the PAP for water temperatures like that. If you want cheap, consider radiant ceiling if you can and drop that water temperature a good 60 degrees while simultaneously dropping your install cost to about $1.50/sq ft in materials. Competitive with radiators, there. Plus it's barrier pipe so save the HE; you'd need to use about 14000 feet of non-barrier pipe to offset the cost of the heat exchanger and non-ferrous items vs using a regular closed system and Mr. Pex.

The potable fittings are lacking there though. Since you can probably handle the end connections just fine in copper, that may not be a big deal for you. However some of the non-barrier pipe out there is a hair cheaper than Mr. Pex, so for the potable you could do that. Wirsbo Aquapex w/ PLS fittings is pretty cheap and high-quality.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    A Clarification

For you guys who don't seem to know, my reference to Mr Pex has nothing to do with today's product by that name although it may be the same guy. Six or seven years ago Ken was in an INTENSE discussion with a man who went by Mr Pex on copper vs pex. Ken's stand on copper was as passionate as his stand on a certain pricing structure.

Leo
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    Perhaps

You should listen to your contractor and trust HIS decision? Or are you trying to DIY this project????

Where in Vt. are you building Ken?

Mark H

• Ken_8
    Options
    I suspect,

I will become the plumbing and heating contractor. I just wanted to be the heating guy, but when you semi-retire, you have lots of time on your hands.

NOT!

The location is Enosburg Falls, near Montgomery, the Canadian line, seven miles from Jay Peak ski resort.

• Unknown
    Options
    VT Ken!

Ken,

I would have responded sooner but I fell of my chair and it took a couple of days to be able to relax my back from the spasms.

My parents also retired in VT. Just north of Lyndonville in East Burke.

Copper will not expand like pex, but PAP will be more like copper for your domestic.

Can I cut you a deal on PEX for your house?

wheels

• Ken_8
    Options
    Steve,

As soon as I get my materials list together, (after I decide on what materials I want) I'll gladly give you a shot.

East Burke is very cool. We go down there in fall to the old genral store and restaurant behind. Cool stuff, not atourist trap and the food's excellent.

Lyndonville is what we pass through occassionally, but rarely stop. Our place is one hour daed north near Jay Peak ski resort. About a seven iron from Canada (:-o)

• Unknown
    Options
    east burke

Hey Ken,

Looks liuke the people bidding in Burke Mountain have plans to turn it into a 4 season resort. Then we can use a driver to your house and a 7 iron to canada! Eh?

wheels
This discussion has been closed.