Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ultra installs

Options
Mitch_6
Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
and web site I have some photos there.

Mitch S.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=388&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    does anyone...

have any install picts. of W-Mc. Ultra installs? I have my 1st Ultra install comming up and I am looking or some ideas and helpful tips other than those in the manuals...ty,kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    try a search

I have found it very easy and you don't have to wait for someone to post.

How are you Kevin?

Cosmo
  • Billy March
    Billy March Member Posts: 43
    Options

• Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    try this

"Ultra pics"

I did and looks like at least 3 threads

Cosmo
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    wire 'em

before you install the vent and intake air. It's a bugger to get to the terminal strip after the PVC is in place.

Be very careful when you thred onto the connections. That compression fitting on the galv piping inside gets stressed easily. I've had 3 crack months after the install. I suspect they don't allow enough expansion movement when the ramp to DHW high temperature fire.

On a couple I removed that fitting and screwed a 1-1/4 nipple right into the block. Not a factory approved modification.

I'm not sure I like those galvanized pipes on the S&R. Not sure how they get along with glycol? I'd rather they pipe them with copper like the Prestige and Munchkin Contender. Solves the zinc and over wrenching issue both.

Don't even try to punch out the knockouts in the bottom of the case. Use a hole saw if you need those holes. Saves a lot of swearing :)

I like how they easily wall mount. I like 2 sets of S&R for heat and DHW.

A very nice case and one of the quietest mod cons out there. Easy to service and adjust the gas valve. They tend to howl a bit after the LP conversion. All mine had to be tuned a bit out of spec to get the "elk bugle" out of them.

The factory support was excellent as I tuned and ran the combustion by them on the phone.

Jury is still out on aluminum HXers. I'd highly recommend a multi metal conditioner. I think their latest manual approves Rhomar products. At least the Rho-Guard AL friendly glycols.

I've not had one leave a customer in the cold.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mikea23
    mikea23 Member Posts: 224
    Options

we have installed alot of them listen to Hot Rod wire them before the vent. I only made the mistake to vent it first once.

We had three of them fail one was install related (dumb Electrician) the other two the modual went bad. I think one had water damage but the other failed on a sunday no less 10 deg out. Simple fix factory suport was good but had to wait till monday and drive 40 miles to get part.

Mike A
  • Harry C. Bellangy
    Harry C. Bellangy Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Ultra Install

Here are a few pictures of the Ultra install during a major remodel completed over the last year. This is in my kitchen, the house was built about 1860 with no space for anything. Hot air was not an option for two reasons, I don't like it and no room for air handlers. After much discussion with my contractor, Plumber Joe, we decided that the WM Ultra would be a good fit for the job along with a Phase III indirect. Slant Fin base board is also used. The Ultra and associated pipeing, etc. takes up a 24 x 32 corner of the kitchen and are enclosed with folding louvered doors. My computer makes more noise that the Ultra. Three zones along with DHW. Great system. It has reduced my gas usage but it is hard to tell exactly how much as I now have a gas dryer. The previous heating was a very old floor furnace. AC is handled by Sanyo split systems. Only problem was a failed outdoor sensor that was quickly replaced. Harry B
  • Harry C. Bellangy
    Harry C. Bellangy Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Ultra Install Pictures

Here are a few pictures of the WM Ultra installed in a corner of my kitchen. Over the last year or so I have been doing a major remodel of my 1860 house. The heat when I received the house from my Aunt was a gas floor furnace. Not too good. No chance of using hot air, I don't like it, never have, never will. After discussion with my contractor, Plumber Joe, we decided that the Ultra along with a Phase III indirect would be a good choice along with WM baseboard. As has it ever been a good choice. The last few weeks in Cape May have been very cold with wind and the house has never been more comfortable. The Phase III provides seemingly endless hot water. The Ultra makes less noise than my computer. The floor space is 24in x 32in and the whole system is enclosed by folding louver doors. Great system installed by professionals. Harry B
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    check here

www.hilliardheating.com

Don't have all of them on there, but there is a couple.
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options
    Pics

Try these. They're not ours but I found them here.

http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFApp=2&Thread_ID=36128&mc=7
  • swanmech
    swanmech Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Tips

> Try these. They're not ours but I found them

> here.

>

> http://forums.invision.net/Thread.cfm?CFA

> pp=2&Thread_ID=36128&mc=7

Install wiring tails 1st. I dry fit vent risers until last. Unions on feed/returns. Also increase feed/return nipples 1-pipe size.

• swanmech
    Options
    Tips

Install wiring tails 1st. I dry fit vent risers until last. Unions on feed/returns. Also increase feed/return nipples 1-pipe size.

• Bernie Riddle_2
    Bernie Riddle_2 Member Posts: 178
    Options
    Lovin mine

a/ Make sure it is piped as diagramed in the manual

b/wiring is on the backside so if you wall mount it is tricky

c/ most definatley glycol/addtv [W-M has only 2 authorized Fernox11 and CryoTek 100AL and Use surge protection

d/ very user frendly controls for fine tuning

e/ there's a TSB on the gas valve adj if needed when comb.. testing
  • John F
    John F Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Ultrapak

Please excuse some self-promotion, but perhaps consider an Ultrapak from Precision Hydronic Products. Available with Taco or Grundfos pumps, zone valves or zone pumps, indirect kit add-on. Everything included except boiler and backflow preventer.

www.phpinc.us
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Ultra Pics

• Robert Bell
    Robert Bell Member Posts: 2
    Options

Here's a couple ultras we did a while ago.
  • swanmech
    Options
  • jhansen
    jhansen Member Posts: 59
    Options

i have installed about half a dozen ultras in the last 6 months. a perfect example of an ultra installation is on my website. hansenmech.com under "the ultimate system." this job includes an indirect fired water heater. a first floor zone of reused cast iron radiators, and 12 zones of radiant heat. they are a lot of fun to install just follow the directions on piping realizing boiler flow is imperative to the life of the boiler.
    jh
  • MW_2
    MW_2 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    ultra install

Here is a photo of one of nine Ultras we installed in some condos about eight months ago. Make sure you pipe the system as shown in the boiler manual. We have had no problems with these installs so far this heating season.
  • Rocky_2
    Rocky_2 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Glenn...

I see a tekmar control on the wall behind the bank of Ultras. Is that a 265 or what? If it is, did you have to use the AM4 Interface kit to make the Ultra's controls talk to the Tekmar mod control? Fixing to install multiple Ultras on a condo job and wanted to know if you used the AM4 module and if so, how easy it was to wire in properly.
    Thanks in advance, and warm regards from chilly Fairbanks (-36).
    Rocky
  • Floyd_37
    Floyd_37 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    The AM-4 kit..

is very easy to wire and works great. Have a couple of installs with the 265 and AM-4's. Only problem is with the 265 getting it's brain scattered by power problems, even with power conditioning. I don't think that the 265 is available yet, they had to remove it from the US market cause of a dispute over programming logic used by it. I think that Heat-timer has a product that will work with the AM-4 though. I will be checking more on that soon, as I am quoting another multi-Ultra job this week.

Floyd
  • Glenn H
    Glenn H Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Rocky

Honestly can't remember which tekmar controller I used. It had 3 modulating outputs. 2 boilers on 1st and 2nd stage, 3 boilers on 3rd stage, Last boiler did DHW. I think I set them up for parallel modulation.

Like Floyd said, AM4 kit was easy to wire.

Take your time programming the tekmar. Lot of satisfaction when you turn it on and everything works just like you want.

another view
This discussion has been closed.