Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad Barrier

Options
Ted_8
Ted_8 Member Posts: 31
Anyone else seeing Uponor PEX with bad barrier? I had two rolls of 3/8 last month that were very rough and peeling in places and now have a roll of 5/16 that has large bumps in it and looks as though it has some sort of debris in the coating. Are they having quality control issues or is it just my crappy luck?

Chris

Comments

• ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Bubbles

I have seen other brands of tubing with bubbles (some were large) that appeared to be in the EVOH coating.
  • Contractor
    Contractor Member Posts: 41
    Options

The peeling may be because of a handling error. Maybe it was kept outside for too long or stored somewhere it shouldnt have been. As for the bumps, that could be any number of things from debris in the extruder to bad resin. Uponor's pipe usually isnt the smoothest most consistant pipe but it shouldnt have bumps, i would def. return that pipe, especially because it may cause problems going into their panels.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    two thoughts...

Back to back! *~/:)

sorry little bit tired and basically delerious frome lack of sleep :)...

one thought is, i have seen some 1/2" that had bumps wverly waves clear spots...thing to do is go in and immediately get the wholesaler to exchange it yet more importantly get them to notify the Wirsbo crowd that way they can quick check the records of the quality control ...then that helps everyone else further down the line.

second thought goes like this..throw the pex in the back of the truck...well Now... my muffler goes thru the bed of the truck and terminate out the top of the pipe rack...that tubing got a severs case of Radiant heat :)
This discussion has been closed.