Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why do some people ask for

Options
2»

Comments

• D Murphy
    D Murphy Member Posts: 10
    Options
    \"Murphy\" cushion

Should I be offended? hehe
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    Options
    Don,

I like your idea! What program are you using?

Starch
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Options
    Hot Rod

I actually answered that question for my local contractor.

To put a decent truck full of tools and 2 decent guys in it. $3000 per day.

My local guy's mouth dropped and he said his billing rate was $2500 per day.

Perry
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    the schmear

Maybe you should have given the fork lift driver a bottle of scotch before you started the job,Dave.
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Options

John, it was written just for my company. I have a computer guru for a cousin, and he wrote it and maintains it for us.
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    does it

It doesn't matter how you break it down.

Contractor 1 is 40% materials and 60% labor.

Contractor 2 is 50% materials and 50% labor.

Contractor 3 is 60% materials and 40% labor.

And I'll tell anyone right now, most people want the cheapest price. Period. They don't really know who will do the better job. Cash is King. Money rules all. I deal with people from New Bedford to Cambridge to Hanover to Newton. People want to pay less. Just like at Walmart. They believe they are getting the same thing from every contractor.

Massachusetts

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    apples vs apples

Hey Perry I can agree with some of what you are saying to a point.

I think the main thing for a homeowner though is to get an apple vs apples comparision mostly on the material side of things from bidder to bidder.
    What am I getting for the dollars I will potentially spend. Better yet if you are well educated in what you set out to have done. This is what I want for equipment/ System in my home, and how I want it done.

When the material is set it is a level playing field with multiple bidders, for comparision. It does not have to be set in stone however. If a bidder is more comfortable with a comparible piece of material, let it be so with explanation on why the bidder wants to use a different brand. All you need are specs of the product to make a educated choice.

In my mind labor whether higher or lower is not necessarily a good comparision. just because someone charges a good buck an hour does not really dictate they are going to give the most quality work.

Let the contractor sell themelves from there. Just my view as a HO

Gordy
This discussion has been closed.