Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which \"type\" of monoflow tee works better?

Tom Hopkins
Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
Could someone please help with the correct way to install both venturi style and diverter style tee's. Which goes first,what direction,arrows???
Thank you

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=313&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>


  • straty
    straty Member Posts: 4

    To any proffessional out there, I am trying to find out if the B&G monoflow tee (round venturi type) works BETTER than the (ramp divertor type) monoflow tee. I do not know the exact name of the ramp type. All that I know is that it has an approximate 30 or 45 degree ramp which acts as a divertor to divert the hot water towards the lines running to a cast iron radiator from the main. They are both generally designed to do the same thing, BUT is the B&G round venturi type MORE effective? If so, is it by a very small difference or a more considerable difference?
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    I would say

    that the traditional concentric ring type (B&G trademark or conical insert after-market) is more effective than the scoop type. I admit that I have no data to back this up, but my thinking is, forcing flow to the side has to induce more direct pressure drop and turbulence than "inducing" flow via a venturi on the suction side of the return branch run.

    With the scoop, velocity head is absorbed or imposed depending on how one looks at it, regardless if flow is diverted or not (such as a closed TRV). Induce venturi effect seems more recoverable if my Bernouli notes are correct. (Bernouli, Venturi, Caleffi, the Roman Gods of Hydronics I suppose..)

    Not terribly scientific, just my gut, never having thought about it before.
  • straty
    straty Member Posts: 4

    Thanks Brad, I appreciate it!
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Venturi Tees

    The classic is the Bell and Gossett style with red rings. The red rings always go between the tees.

    Basically if installed on the return side (normal for 90% of practice), the cone "point" aims downstream. If installed on the supply side, the cone points upstream. When both are installed such as for a run with higher pressure drop or below the main, the cone points aim in opposite directions just as if they were singly installed. This would apply to any of the venturi type tees.

    Bell and Gossett Monoflo tees do have arrows, at least the ones I have, each labeled "supply" and "return". Not all of the competitors have such foresight.

    For scoop tees, the scoop should be positioned to assist flow.

    The open end of the scoop would aim upstream on the supply (to guide main flow into the branch and downstream on the return (guiding the return flow back into the main).
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

    -Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.