Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator non-electric valve

They'll make your life easier. Check this out.




  • Rich_22
    Rich_22 Member Posts: 7
    Radiator non-electric valve

    Where can a person get a non-electeic cast-iron radiator angle zone valve?. What I have are cast-iron radiators on my hot water heating system that have a supply and return that are 11/2 ip. All the zone valves that I can find only go up to 11/4. I would like to know if there are angle zone valves that go up to 11/2 to replace the hand valve on the radiator. I can't believe that no one has not run into this problem. And no I don't want to bush e'm. Can anyone help me?
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

    Numerous people have encountered that problem when installing TRVs (non-electric proportional zone valves) on iron rads in old (almost always original gravity) systems.

    To my knowledge nobody makes TRV valve bodies larger than 1 1/4".

    Brad White once posted a link to a company that could modify traditional valves into TRVs--or something like that. Don't have it handy but perhaps he'll re-post.

    With a two-pipe system you can almost always reduce the branch size of either supply or return to 1 1/4" without terrible difficulty. Of course the hole through the floor will have to be moved slightly. That can be the worst part...

    While I'm sure that the valve modification to a TRV won't be inexpensive, it might prove cost effective.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

    Tunstall is the one.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Actually Mike

    Tunstall was that company too, which offers kits to retrofit the body of an existing valve into a respectable TRV.

    One person posted to complain about the price (which I will not post here), and I thought, geez, for the cost of removing a valve and replacing it, plus the valve itself, that is a problem somehow? I thought it was a veritable bargain!
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

    -Ernie White, my Dad
  • Rich_22
    Rich_22 Member Posts: 7
    dead end

    Thank's for the info. called this company and was told there is nothing available. I can not bush the valve down because of pipe is in floor. No way to resize. Radiator is on 2nd floor and pipe is in wall staight up to radiator. I just can's get over the fact that is no-one making these valves over 11/4. Thank's
  • Woody
    Woody Member Posts: 34
    1-1/2\" Non-Electric Thermostatic Radiator Valve Body:

    1-1/2” Size for a Thermostatic Radiator Valve is pretty uncommon, therefore most manufacturers do not make a replacement valve. However, Tunstall Corporation (the Macon Controls division) does manufacture one, the correct Macon Controls part # is TA-RV-150-TRV

    If you would like, we can fax you the dimensional / cut sheets for this product as well as give you the phone # to our local rep. / distributor in your area (unfortunately the cut sheets are not online yet).

    Please give me a call if you have any questions.

    Best Regards,

    Woody Tunstall
This discussion has been closed.