Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator Reflectors

Art supply stores have 2' x 4' sheets of mylar faced 1/4" foam board. Quite durable, easy to cut and not very expensive.

Comments

• Jim_109
    Jim_109 Member Posts: 45
    Radiator Reflectors

Anyone know of a supplier for radiator reflectors?

I have both cast iron column and baseboard. I am looking to minimze the amount of heat radiated into my walls and out the windows.

By reflecting the heat into the room, the temperature should stay warmer longer.

I figure this is a relatively inexpensive and easy method of saving money and increasing comfort.
  • Mark Biro
    Mark Biro Member Posts: 46
    Might try 1/2\" Thermax as reflector

Hey, Jim, I'm just a simple homeowner of a simple home.

We have cut sheets of 1/2"-thick aluminum-faced polyisocyanurate foam ("Thermax" is the "Jello" or "Kleenex" of the realm) -- $10 for 4' x 8' sheet at your nearby building store.

Then simply taped the raw edges with aluminum tape (high-end "duct tape," from the same store) to neaten them up, and tacked them behind the radiators.

We're pleased. It might suit you?
  • Ginny
    Ginny Member Posts: 1
    Radiator Reflectors

I did not see if there were any places listed to purchase in the replies listed in the 2007 forum. Does anyone know of any place to purchase?
  • Steve_168
    Steve_168 Member Posts: 39

If you are really in a budget like myselft, i used cardboard and wrapped it with aluminum foil.
    This process works well as the water behind the makeshift reflectors are cold to the touch when the steam is kicking in.
  • Cara905
    Cara905 Member Posts: 2
    refector panels for rads.

Hi, there is a panel called Novithermn that you get for free in Ontario, Canada. I have attached the web site for your information. I do have a question, which is; what kind of savings are we talking about if I use these panels, they make sense for a column rad which radiates, but for a baseboard fin rad I don't know. I would like to hear any information that supports the use of these panels.
    http://www.matrixenergy.ca/ee/reflector/brochure/reflector_1.pdf
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155

Make your own cheap. A good idea, and only a few folks ever think about it, me and you. HD Menards has Foil Faced Polyisocyanurate Foam board. Its just 4x8 sheets of insulating foam board like the Blue and Pink stuff except it has a 2 sided Radiant foil barrier and R7.2" vs R5" for the blue and Pink. Cut to fit, but a big word of caution, all sides must be sealed with caulk to the wall tight at the edges or wall will condense and Mold, Been there, had mold. Yes you heat walls, and it goes outside. 2" is only R 14.4 but I bet it will save quite a bit of Ng.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    At long last, a valid application of Bubble Foil Bubble....

Easy to cut. Use double sticky back tape to fix in place.

I knew we would eventually find a good application for this stuff :-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.