Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Size

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
Only way you could closer than that would be to custom cast it at the foundry.

Comments

• Jeff_43
    Jeff_43 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    New Boiler

I'm having a new boiler installed for my one pipe steam system.
    The old boiler (which is 65+ years old) is rated at 200,000 btu. Acorrrding to my calculations (per Dan's Lost Art book) the EDR load for my existing radition load is 287.

The contractor has specified a boiler that is rated at 112,500 btu and according to the manufacture's spec sheet, the EDR rating for this boiler is 283.

Is this bobiler too small or 'dead on?'
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    aren't you within

4 square feet? seems pretty dead nuts to me..

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Pull back some of the sure felt and make it a ringer :)

• Matt_27
    Matt_27 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Head Room

I realize the numbers are almost perfect, I was under
    the impression that it was advantageous to have
    a little head room. ??
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    If...

The pipes on the main aren't insulated, you've more than made up for the "head room" spoken of, by insulating them. If they are insulated...a shorter cycle accompanied by proper near boiler piping will more than make up for the difference, and make for a nice, quiet boiler.

To quote almost everyone here....VENT, VENT, VENT!!!

Make sure your mains are vented properly and that each radiator will vent at the right time to make you comfortable. Nuff said? Chris

Matt, please remember that boilers designed 65 years ago were set up for comfort with loads of air infiltration, and minimal insulation. (not to mention that the fuel prices were so ridiculously low, that noone cared if it was a bit bigger than needed). JCA
This discussion has been closed.