Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heat Problem

Options
David_30
David_30 Member Posts: 34
Thanks. Everything I read in searching this board says to set it high (1.2) so I when I started moving it down it didnt feel right. Does anyone else have any insight on the anticipator setting issue?

Comments

• David_30
    David_30 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Steam problem

How many cycles per hour should a steam boiler run on a typical cold new england winter day? My boiler comes on maybe once per hour, sometimes less, resulting in the rads getting stone cold but the temp swings are not that bad (maybe 4-5 degrees). Is this ok or is it more efficent (from a fuel conservation perspective) to have the system run more consistently? I've adjusted the anticipator on my Honeywell T87 down to .8 with little noticeable change. Any advice?
  • Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561
    Options

I have mine set at .55 for about 2 cycles per hour, Minnesota climate. I wouldn't like that 4-5 degree swing; that would feel like a HE furnace:)
  • Bob W._3
    Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561
    Options

I think the correct way is to set it to the amp draw on your thermostat. There was a thread on that just in the last few days. Do a search. My new boiler manual suggested .8, my T87 amped out at .3, which was low, and .55 seems about right for the moment. I get about a 10 min. burn with 25-30 min. off in this mild 28 deg. weather.
This discussion has been closed.