Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus Serviced New Efficiency numbers

Options
on how he settled at those numbers.

Find trace of smoke and back off 1 1/2%

I have been servicing oil for almost 20 years. I would never leave anything at 14.4% CO2. There just is no margin for error. IE a large load of extremely cold oil, small lint or dust in air take. (Riello's are a little less susceptiple to this but it occurs)

Like Steve Ebels most of my Buderus Riello's are in the 12- 13% range.

What is the over fire draft reading?

Were readings taken before the cleaning?

All the best

Robert

ME

Comments

• Rodney Summers
    Rodney Summers Member Posts: 748
    Options

okay now how is this guys he came back and here are the new numbers

efficiency 87.9%

excess air 7.7%

stack temp 350*F

primary temp 63.0*F

o2 1.6%

co2 14.4%

co 49 ppm

co air free 53 ppm

draft -0.07 wc

also i had him install a gerber filter on my tank for me :-)
    new filter
    thank you
    Jason
  • Rodney Summers
    Options

he did not check the over fire draft but there was zero trace of smoke
  • Robert O'Connor_8
    Robert O'Connor_8 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    ok

The conventional method is to find that point at which you areat 0 to a trace of smoke and back off the CO2 1 -1 1/2%.

This gives you a buffer.

All the best

Robert

ME
  • Rodney Summers
    Options

okay thanks robert i am installing my bfu room sensor tonight.

next year i will have him check the over fire draft at the boiler door.

thank you and happy new year to you
  • Robert O'Connor_8
    Options
    Hopefully you

won't need him before next year. At this point I'd be looking for someone new.

I went out to my truck and got my Riello F40 Series Burner Specification Sheet for Buderus 115,215 and 315 Boilers. This came from Buderus.

In large letters across bottom of sheet it says:" Set C02 between 11% and 13%"

What is in the balance here is a sooted boiler. ( Hopefully) or even more fun a running cold soak.(Riello's get running saturations too)

What explanation did your tech offer for his performance yesterday?

If you want to know more about oil testing go to firedragonent.com and buy George's book on this subject: "COMBUSTION & Oil Burning Equipment"

All the best

Robert

ME
  • Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 93
    Options

Here are some numbers off my boiler.
    CO2 13.2%
    CO 11ppm
    89% Efficiency
    19% Excess Air

This is in a boiler in my home that I monitor daily. I use my own boiler to conduct experiments so I keep a very close eye on it. I would not leave a burner running at a customers home over 13% CO2. If I had 14.4% CO2 in my own boiler, that I test daily, with zero smoke (my numbers are close to that) I wouldn't walk away and leave it like that. With 14.4% you have no room for weather changes. If memory serves me, 15.3% CO2 is the theoretical perfect combustion. I say theoretical because you will never achieve perfect combustion. You may also be producing smoke at 50ppm CO. I would suggest having this burner backed down to at most 13% CO2 if that 14.4 is a trace or zero smoke.
  • steve_93
    steve_93 Member Posts: 37
    Options

I'll set that combo to 121/2 % max.

Breech draft should be around -02 or -03 OF draft should not be negative... 0 to +2

All ya got to do is to go to the Buderus web site and download the specs for your set up.

Also is that new garber showing vacuum on the gauge?
  • Rodney Summers
    Options

Robert what if i open the burner and let open the air another notch

would that give the burner more air
    would that bring down my co2

or should i open the draft on the power venter just a tad

and also what if i leave it like this what is the worst that could happen just more soot. that i should clean 2 times a year instead of once thanks

thanks
  • Robert O'Connor_8
    Options
    Rooster

All adjustments need to be made with the benefit of either type of combustion test kit by a trained individual.

Worst that could happen? Dunno but I have an interesting picture somewhere of a firehouse . Powervent like yours, all safeties working... Somehow blew a flame out of the building and set the siding on fire.

All the best

Robert

ME

• Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Options
    burner is squeezed to all that it can give -

so you have zero tolerance for changing conditions eg, cold air/fuel, draft etc. You are sitting on the razors edge of combustion - IMO breech draft is too high, o2 too low and no mention of smoke reading. You need a combustion analyser to set this up correctly - adding "a little air" without it could equal a well sooted boiler overnight. ditto re GL's book - contains well expained service procedures for oil.
  • Kevin__Flynn
    Kevin__Flynn Member Posts: 74
    Options
    CO

Rooster

The one thing that happens as you can see from your 1st thread, is that as you close down your air you raise your CO. At that high of a CO2 the slightest change in combustion could have this project added to the many CO posts on the wall.

Don't rely on the myth that says oil burners can't create enough soot to be harmfull.

Kevin Flynn

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
    Options

hi Steve what do you mean showing vacuum ? don't tell me there's now something wrong with that also ill fall over in my chair :-)
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Vacuum Gauge

Am I the only one who is experiencing a lot of bad Vacuum gauges from Garber? I had to return 3 of them this past week because the needle was out of calibration.

Rooster what can we say, get a guy who knows his stuff. I don't think I can add much, but you might want to buy George's book for the tech. I have never left a burner set for higher than 13% co2 that I can remember.

George Lanthier's book explains how you reach the proper co2 by increasing co2 until you see a trace of smoke. Then you back off 1 1/2% for margin of error. Always check Draft at breech and over the fire. Always refer to Boiler/burner documentation because they give you guidelines to follow.

Maybe he pulled the comb analyzer sensor out of the stack before the pump stopped? I doubt it though....

Sorry to pick on ya, but we are just giving you the truth

Happy New Year

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • RoosterBoy
    RoosterBoy Member Posts: 459
    Options

thanks Cosmo how can i tell if the vacuum gauge is bad on my garber.

dose Dan sell this book George's book for the tech?

thank you
    Jason
This discussion has been closed.