Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cold air intake

Options
Bob W._3
Bob W._3 Member Posts: 561
I just installed an 8" flex duct cold air intake into the boiler room. Tried using a bucket as a plug, also tried a big U loop. So far it just pours in the cold air, boiler on or off. Suggestions on how to damper this thing? Thought about a section of 8" round with a damper, but how can I set it up so the damper opens and closes with the demand? (That is, without the use of a motor and relay) Some sort of reverse barometric damper? Thanks.

Bob W.

Comments

• Boilerpro_3
    Boilerpro_3 Member Posts: 1,231
    Options
    ?

Does the new boiler have a stack damper and is it working?
    Is the boiler room sealed up and isolated from the rest of your home?
    If you seal up the boiler room and the boiler stack damper closes not much air will come in that fresh air pipe. If the air has no way out of the room, air can't get in.

Boilerpro
  • Boilerpro_3
    Options
    ?

Does the new boiler have a stack damper and is it working?
    Is the boiler room sealed up and isolated from the rest of your home?
    If you seal up the boiler room and the boiler stack damper closes not much air will come in that fresh air pipe. If the air has no way out of the room, air can't get in.

Boilerpro
  • Bob W._3
    Options

Dave, the new boiler has a stack damper and the boiler room is open to the house. I have considered doing as you suggest, which would simply entail shutting a door. Unfortunately we may lose the nice radiant heat in our dining room, which is just above the boiler room. Was just hoping there was a way to damper the intake. Thanks.
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Sure

That is what the motor and relay is for ;)

Tjernlund, and Field both make great combustion air intake fans that turn on and off with the burner.

Cosmo Valavanis

Dependable P.H.C. Inc.
  • Bob W._3
    Options

Thanks Cosmo. That would be the fan in the can you folks mention?
  • Boilerpro_3
    Options
    Dampers

There are dampers available that interlock with the burner, the same way the stack damper does. On call for heat, the damper is powered open. When the damper is nearly full open, a switch makes which sends power to the boiler contacts. I bet a standard boiler stack damper could be used if you buy the matching wiring harness.

I prefer to close up the boiler room and leave the air intake open. This allows for some ventilation should a small gas leak occur or should a CO problem develop.

Boilerpro
  • Bob W._3
    Options

Thanks Dave.
This discussion has been closed.