Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM EGH or LGB?

Options
Mitch_6
Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
I have installed a lot of EGH boilers, In some cases have disassembled them into individual sections for easy placement. I have had no problems with them.

On writer called for a CGA, they are good on low water content systems. If yours is like a converted gravity or other high water content you may want to go with the EGH. Also they are tapped for steam and water so if you want to add items like low water cut offs you have the extra tapping the CGA does not.

Mitch S.

Comments

• Drew_8
    Drew_8 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    boilers. . .

Looking for advice between choosing the EGH or LGB lines of boiler to replace a hot water boiler in my apartment building. I'm looking at the product literature online, and in the 275K BTU range, they both fit well. What's the difference? Is it anything that you guys have put in before? Thanks
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    Drew

How did you calculate the BTU's needed? Assuming you did a heat loss calculation, is the 275 number a net number? The EGH and the LGB are both good boilers, however given such a small load I'd go with the PFG, its only for forced water where as the EGH & LGB can do both steam or water. I'd prefer to use a boiler made specifically for the application (forced water) and thats the PFG.

Good Luck

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • mark  smith
    mark smith Member Posts: 112
    Options

i'd prefer the EG, as it's castings are heavy, and time proven
  • ttekushan_2
    ttekushan_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    EG Story.

> i'd prefer the EG, as it's castings are heavy,

> and time proven

• ttekushan_2
    ttekushan_2 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    EG Story.

I had found myself the caretaker of a couple of WM boilers at the place where I last rented. This forelorn little EG had not been blown down or anything in 10 years since its installation in 1988. It was now 1998 and the thing was running constantly from late October to April (not kidding). It did, however, shut off once an hour to add water. There was a return line leak. Oh, and it was too small for the EDR and piping. It was (and is) overfired. And the seals somewhere were seeping, so that the jacket started to rust through.

Now, this poor thing is in a separate boiler plant and was very clearly a poor choice for this application. The summer environment is poorly ventilated and literally wet. I thought, well this is on its last legs, so I'll clean it out. It should be replaced anyway.

In went the boiler descaler. Then the flush, etc etc. I then overfired it even more to match the load throughout the remainder of the season (it was a really cold year). I wouldn't have done this if it were in an occupied space. Disconnected the auto feed. Repaired the leak. I've kept the unit squeaky clean since then. It requires water about every week so leakage couldn't be catastrophic (actually I think it only seeps when its cold).

So this "Last Legs" EG is still rusting, still seeping, and still running another 8 years later. 18 years of pure boiler hell and its still ticking.

BTW, landlord won't replace it with something more appropriate until it fails. I wonder how long that will be!
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Options
    LGB's

I just finished a pair of LGB-4's a few weeks ago. Nice boilers, but had problems with the 5" supply tapping on the left side of the boilers. Odd that both of them would leak once under load. Other than that, they are nice well fitting units, that are easy to assemble.
  • Bill Jirik,
    Bill Jirik, Member Posts: 54
    Options

For hot water the LGBs are probably ok as I have one customer who has had one for years with no problems, for one pipe steam I have seen five in the past two years that have devoloped corrosion leaks above the water line and all were LGB12s or larger and under 10 years old , only one was the result of excessive make up in my mind, castings seem pretty thin, and water content seems low in comparison to other cast iron boilers which leads me to believe that thier waterside surface is less then other cast iron boilers, however they do assemble quickly,certainly in the smaller capacities there are plenty of brands to choose from and each probably has its good and bad points
This discussion has been closed.