Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing steam radiator

Options
Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
are so encased in wall construction that tipping them is tough. It is done by driving wedges under the radiator end opposite the steam entry.

This is not to say "don't try it". By all means do. You may have to try carpentry too.

BTW: Your question tags onto the answers to another; it may not get the attention you seek. Suggest you post it as it's own thread so that more will see it. Otherwise only those with an interest in this thread will. Why miss out?? :)

Brad

Comments

• Len_8
    Len_8 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Removing steam radiator

Was looking for some advice. I have to radaiators in my bedroom on the second floor of my home. the room is abou 10x20. we are in the process of a bedroom make over and was wondering if i could eliminate one rad from the room. The rad i was looking to get rid of is a 5 column 11 section on a one pipe system. the one i was going to keep in the room is a 5 column 10 section and stands about 20 inches high. was wondering if the one rad is adequet enough to heat the room. was also looking into doing cast iron basboard, but not sure how well that works. Also by removing one rad will this tthrow my system out of wack. i have a 3 yr old burnham. Any advice on this would be a big help . Thanks
  • Brad White_38
    Brad White_38 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    What you are seeking to do, Len

is to remove over half the heating capacity in the room.

Without knowing the heat loss of the room (dimensions alone are not enough to go on) it is impossible to say. Same for not knowing the piping configuration if it will be thrown out of whack by removing the radiator.

But you can in the meantime experiment, something only you can do:

If you shut off the one radiator you seek to remove, what is the resultant room temperature and comfort level. Tonight seems to be a good test night at least here in Boston (8 degrees and wind).

It may be that the house was insulated and sealed up from it's original state (for which we hope the radiators were designed). If they were significantly over-sized by the standards of the day, it is possible that you cut the heat loss in half or at least close to what you need it to be for the remaining radiator.

Forget cast iron baseboard if on steam. Unless you run a parallel hot water system off of the steam boiler, that one will not fly.
  • frank_25
    frank_25 Member Posts: 202
    Options

Have a heating pro size up the room and ask about Burnham recessed radiators. They can be installed inside a wall cavity with about 2 1/2" exposed. They work very well when installed properly. They are a bit costly, but for a room make over, it's the best next to a separate hot water zone. BTW, I am not a Burnham "person" rather an installer.
  • Brad White_38
    Brad White_38 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Frank has a good point here..

The recessed radiators measure 20 inches high, 5 inches deep and can be recessed as Frank noted. Capacity works out neatly to one square foot EDR (240 BTUH) per inch of length. If you make these hot water it drops to 150 BTUH per inch of length.

Only issue I have had with them when used for steam is tipping for better condensate outflow. And that dang air vent sticks out the face. But they are nice and radiant....
  • Don_179
    Don_179 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Recessed radiator/convector?

I have a recessed radiator (convector?) in my bathroom in a one pipe steam system and it's the only radiator in the whole house that bangs so I have it shut off. Any idea how to fix it - someone else mentioned tipping it but not sure what that meant and now reading your post it makes me wonder if it's maybe a simple fix. Sure would be nice to finally have heat in that bathroom! Any advice?
  • Hitzkup
    Hitzkup Member Posts: 63
    Options
    recessed radiator

i believe that your recessed radiator had been installed during a recent remodeling. check the piping as well as the valve size. if it was installed by a remodeling contractor with little if any steam knowledge it's probably piped wrong.

HitzKup
This discussion has been closed.