Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil additive

Options
Hot works well, but if sludge is a concern STR-2 by Technol does a great job. That said, with the age of your tank, you would be saving yourself from a future headache by installing a new one along with new oil lines. I'm not sure how someone could have visually inspected the interior of your tank and given a clean bill of health?

Comments

• Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    oil additive

Any opinions on H.O.T. shot or any other heating oil additives? Do they really break up sludge and absorb water, to help the tank stay clean, or is this a snake oil type of deal? I am considering treating my tank, but if it is not a good idea I would like to know ahead of time!! Thanks, guys!
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Options

hay jason i put in a brand new tank last year and started using treatment for it from day one but my friend owns a oil company and uses good oil treatment in his oil also.

but if it's a new tank id keep using it.

before i re did this whole house with all new mechanical the oil tank was over 40 years old with sludge in it and never used oil treatment it never clogged the burner but the filter was changed each year the tank was never pitched either so i think that may have helped it last as long as it did. the thank never went under 1/4 tank of oil before fill up's either

good luck lets hope bio will be available soon

thanks

• Jason_15
    Jason_15 Member Posts: 124
    Options

Thanks, Rooster. This is an old tank that was just re-commissioned a few weeks ago with a brand new boiler. The tank is probably 30+ years old, but was inspected inside and out before re-piping it and using it. There was a very small amount of liquid sludge at the bottom that I couldn't get out before they re-piped it. It is a side take off tank that is pitched towards the drain. I figure it is safer to have it pitched towards the drain so water doesn't build up and rot the inside of the tank. This tank is rust free inside despite it's age!!!
  • chapchap70_2
    chapchap70_2 Member Posts: 147
    Options
    additive

The oil company I work for treats all the oil before it goes into our storage tanks that the delivery trucks pick up the oil from. Since our company is full service and most customers have contracts, there has to be a payback for this practice somewhere. The additive does work and there is a big difference when looking at the filters from our old customers as compared to the new customers we get as we service the equipment for the first time. The additive cuts down significantly on the number of service calls for oil related problems.

I would venture to guess that oil companies that do not use additives are either not smart or have customers that pay for service on a per call basis.
  • Dave Mayer -3 Sons Heating
    Options
    Oil Additives

Hey There:
    In my experience the subject of oil additives is far more involved than simply one "do it all" additive. Hot works okay as an anti-gel, so does Frost Free-they work okay but can not stop gelling in the bitter cold spells. So after the winter of 03-04 I investigated further. I met with a man named Ed Ketchum, he knows additives. He has perhaps forgotten more than all of us will ever know. A true genius in the additive field. He and his company had teamed up with RW BECKETT corp and his additives are problem specific and they work! His anti-gel called "Low Pour" is the best anti-gel on the market and his anti-sludge products are equally fantastic. JMHO.
    Dave Mayer
  • Dave Mayer -3 Sons Heating
    Options
    Oil Additives

Hey There:
    In my experience the subject of oil additives is far more involved than simply one "do it all" additive. Hot works okay as an anti-gel, so does Frost Free-they work okay but can not stop gelling in the bitter cold spells. So after the winter of 03-04 I investigated further. I met with a man named Ed Ketchum, he knows additives. He has perhaps forgotten more than all of us will ever know. A true genius in the additive field. He and his company had teamed up with RW BECKETT corp and his additives are problem specific and they work! His anti-gel called "Low Pour" is the best anti-gel on the market and his anti-sludge products are equally fantastic. JMHO.
    Dave Mayer
  • B. Tice
    B. Tice Member Posts: 206
    Options
    additive

Actually Dave, that's Ed Kitchen.
    I have used Fuel Right and Ultra Guard myself. Wouldn't use any others.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tom R.
    Tom R. Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Treat the problem...

If you have a problem with sludge (usually formed from water in the fuel) drain or strip the tank. Above ground tanks do gel in very cold weather, and can use a lighter fuel added to prevent this. Kerosene and #1 fuel will help, but keep in mind that they have less BTU's, and require a lot to make a difference. If you insist on using additives, have the oil analyzed, treat the specific problem. BTW, you can also get sludge from your fuel supplier (knowingly or not).
This discussion has been closed.