Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water level in glass gauge

Options
You may also want to check the packing nuts on the rad valves. Very often the handles on the valves turn much too freely. This is a sign that the packing nuts need to be tightened or even repacked. You can lose much steam(water) this way. Also check your main air vents for leaks or signs of leaks(water stains on vents).

Anthony Menafro

Comments

• jack_30
    jack_30 Member Posts: 4
    Options

How much water should normally disappear from my steam boiler? i fill it up half way thru the glass in the morning. I have 3 radiators upstairs and 3 downstairs. when i come home from work(9-10 hours later) its a quarter full? Is that the normal rate?
  • John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    Options
    Jack..

Make sure you're checking the water level after the system has cooled off (not while in operation). You shouldn't have to add any water to the boiler. If you can't see any leaks, you may have a leaking boiler. You should get a pro in there to check it out. Find a Professional

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steve Garson_2
    Steve Garson_2 Member Posts: 712
    Options

You also may have a leak in your wet return, if it is under the floor. Check the water level at the same point in the boiler cycle, i.e. when the system is cool, or has not cycled in thirty minutes or so. It should be at the same level.
    Steve from Denver, CO
  • jack_30
    Options

all my returns are visible, no leaks anywhere, including boiler. its been like this for a while. the boiler is 22 years old.
  • John S.
    John S. Member Posts: 260
    Options
    most likely...

the leak is above the water level in the boiler. Sometimes you can see what appears to be white smoke (is actually steam) out of the chimney when the boiler's creating steam. Another way to check the boiler for leaks is to fill it up with water past the top of the boiler with the boiler shut down. Water will make it's way to the floor.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Ted Robinson
    Ted Robinson Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Lost steam boiler water

I have mesured some surprisingly low flue temperatures on leaking steam boilers. That is the clue I use to determine that the combustion flue is being water-cooled! The rule of thumb I use is that anything below the 400's degrees F is a warning sign of a boiler leak.
  • jack_30
    Options

did both tests and no leaks. one thing i forgot to mention was i have an automatic water feeder. with a hartford loop. it will feed water just above the lwco level.
  • Tom R.
    Tom R. Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Leaks

If you have no leaks, the water vapor is getting out through faulty air vents. And blow down the water feeder (or remove it and clean it out). Sounds like it's not working, either.
  • Robert O'Connor_3
    Robert O'Connor_3 Member Posts: 272
    Options

The water feeder does fill up the boiler when needed. I touch the hartford loop when the system is on and its not hot, but when it shuts down i touch it and it feels hot so i assume the condesation is running down in them.
    Does the water feeder feed the boiler with the condesation inside the loop also?
This discussion has been closed.