Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Right heater for my Garage?

Options
2»

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    true :)

that is right on advise ,Mike*~/see that stuff on the roof that looks real shiney ? :)

we use it over the foam sheets around the perimeters and under the ground over the insulation...on the vertical. underground it functions like a waterproof barrier, above ground its that And weather proof i.e. Wind...

oh, i hijacked these jpegs off the net:) for "visulization purposes only" :)
  • mike1
    mike1 Member Posts: 21
    Options

I just spoke to a Plumbing/heating guy over the phone, I don't know this guy personally but he works occasionally for a friend of mine, anyway, I explained the Garage situation and here is what he had to say.
    1] If I insulate the Garage, it WILL be hotter in the summertime than if I leave it as it is [uninsulated]. He said that this principle only works on Basements which is underground, also, installing a vent with fan in the ceiling is the only way to keep the insulated garage cool in the summer.

2] He says the filler foam is very expensive so it would be better for me to use the fiberglass sheets in the roof.

3] As for the 3 Brick walls, he says I might be able to use "Duraboard" which comes in different thicknesses.

Ok, now what do you guys think about everything this guy told me here? Is he wrong in any of the 3 above or are they options that can work?
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Brian (Tankless) Member Posts: 340
    Options
    400 + collective years of experience

and advice from pro's who charge about $100/hr for consulting, they give it to you for free & you still call the buddy of a freind of a brother in-law's Dad, who knows a plumbin/heating guy who says "that filler foam is expensive"!!!!!! No insulation is expensive, it's only expensive if you don't use it!!

I said "blown-in cellulose, not foam insulation". You can get this stuff from Lowes & Home Depot for about $10/bale. Three bales will cover your 10 x 16 garage with 12".

The foam for the walls is in 4 x 8 boards, & is cheap as dirt.

Hellllllllooooo, is there anybody in there? Pink Floyd, I stole a line from a song.

Gotta go put a door on my dog's radiantly heated house. The big bugger is comfier, comfy'er than I am.

Swampster.
  • mike1
    Options

Before anyone else should get on my case for seeking advice/opinions "elsewhere" other than this board, I want you all to know that I am a person who never puts all of my eggs in one basket. If I talk to 10 "professionals" as an example, chances are I will get 10 different opinions, the way I do things is I look for ALL options and listen to EVERYONE then decide which way I am going to go. If my method offends anyone here then please just don't bother to respond to any of my posts, ok guys?

Now back to my last post, can anyone give me their opinion on this "reflective" insulation please? Thanks.
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Options
    Yes

Don't use it.
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Options
    Mike, check out \"Counting blessings\"

@the top of this board, then figure out how important your whinings are concerning your damn garage heating.

Insulate the effing thing, and be done with it. Then make a donation to a charity that uses "GOD" as the entity who is in charge of EVERYTHING.

Just do something, & stop talking.

B.
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    Options
    47 posts later

and all for an uninsulated garage that he likes to "spend time in"!!!

Not, "My wife and kids need heat" or "My elderly Mom is freezing". Nope. Just a garage.

Don't stop at 10 contractors Mike. Talk to every single one of them! Get all 1.5 million opinions!!!

Sooner or later you'll find one that tells you what you want to hear.

Good luck!

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • mike1
    Options

Two can play this game of insults, just so you know but I did not come here for that so I'll just say thanks for the help and have a great Holiday season all! I am now unsubscribed from this forum.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,041
    Options
    Thank you Tankless....Why are you guys wasting your valuable

time helping this guy? HE'S GONNA DO WHAT HES GONNA DO! Regardless. Hey dude? With the price of fuel and kilowatts on the rise, you still don't seem to be bothered by throwing away your $$$$$$$. These are the best heating minds in the business here, but this falls on deaf ears. What a waste of time. Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,041
    Options
    I think thats a good idea for both Mike

You just squandered valuable free advice time that rational people could've benefited from. Merry Christmas. Mad Dog

• Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    Find an old woodstove somwhere

and just stick a stovepipe out. They put out plenty enough heat for uninsulated garage. Be careful of fire.
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Options
    Now, come on Plumdog

The man can't, won't give up 2 1/2" of wall depth for insulation, so where's he gonna fit a huge woodstove :O)

I personally like your idea though, I really like huge cast iron wood stoves. A very good old freind of mine lives in Cleveland TX waaaaaay out in the woods. It has a built-in t-static fan. It heats their HUGE living room so toasty.

Now why don't I do that instead of my cold air sucking fireplace.

Now you've got me thinking, thanks.

B. in fridgid Swampland.
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    Options
    I heat my two bay unisulated

garage with a Rinnai Energysaver 1004. Gas fired, direct vent so no exposed flame, modulating gas valve, etc. I'm biased as I represent them, but they are the best...period!
  • Brian (Tankless)
    Options
    I agree, Jack

Rinnai make excellent products.

I sell/install Takagi water heaters so I'm a little biased too, but they don't make a range of products like Rinnai.

Keep up the good Thankless-Tankless work, Jack.

Brian in the woods.
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    My old tent heater

out of my outfitters tent heated my 1 and 1/2 car uninsulated garage just fine. I use a Modine Hot Dawg now in my 3 car uninsulated garage and it works fine as well. I will insulate the garage pretty soon, though. (yeah, count on it)
This discussion has been closed.