Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water in Steam Vent

tom_82
tom_82 Member Posts: 66
Regarding dirty water in the boiler.
If one has a bouncing line in the glass on the boiler, has the boiler water cleaned and doesn't do anything to the return lines, will the water just get dirty again?
And, when and if the water is treated chemically does the boiler have to get all the gunk removed from the bottom of it??? Wher does all the dirt go?
Just wondering.
TOm

Comments

• John_154
    John_154 Member Posts: 4

Need help. Have One Pipe Steam System. I am getting water in my Gorton D vent. Two days ago I raised the side away from the pipe towards the pipe so the pitch is correct however the vent is still filling up with water and of course the rad does not heat up. I unscrew the vent and it is filled with water and a tiny bit comes out of the rad. If I leave the vent off the rad will heat up and eventually I can see steam coming out of the Rad. What is the problem? The vent is brand new and I have a good pitch? I'm baffled.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Wet Steam?

Is there a lot of bouncing water in the sight glass when the boiler is on? Is the water dirty? Are the steam mains insulated?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John_154

Just emptied the water in the boiler 2 days ago it was filthy brown. The sight glass is now crystal clear water. The mains are insulated not sure if the water bounces. Just lowered the screw for the steam pressure to see if it helps was at
    3 1/2 lowered it to 2.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    water out of D vent

I had a similar issue. I had put a D vent on one of my far radiators (should have had a C) because I wanted the room to get warmer than it was getting. It all worked fine until the coldest day of the year (couple of days ago) when the mains stayed hot (and so did the main vents) and many of the other radiator vents were hot/closed.

To make a long story short, we got woken up because the condensation wasn't draining properly from the vent and it was hissing up a storm and couldn't close right because water was stuck in it. To make a long story short, we put a C on instead and even though the room isn't the temperature we would like, the problem seems to have gone away.
  • Dave_4
    bouncing

Steamhead,

Out of curiosity, is it normal for there to be any bouncing in the sight glass? If there shouldn't be any bouncing at all, I assume the solution is to keep skimming away? (or deal with something like tsp?)
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    A little is OK

but if it goes WAY UP then WAY DOWN, it needs cleaning.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • John_154

It is bouncin about 1 1/2 inches up and down is that bad? If so whats the solution? Is that the cause of the water?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    It needs cleaning anyway

see if that helps. If not we look elsewhere. But start with a clean boiler and system.

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    try

leaving the c vent on the proper outlet side position, and drill and tap the inlet side boss and put another c there also..this one will close right away when steam arrives, leaving the other c vent to clear out the radiator..

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• John_154

OK put a #5 vent on and it is still filling up with water. What is the solution?
  • Dave_4
    can i also...

Gerry,

Thanks for the reply. Short of that, would it make any difference to use the existing vent tapping, put a tee on it and use two Cs instead of one D or will this cause the same problem and I need to get a hole on the inlet side?
  • gerry gill
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• gerry gill
    clean the boiler

as steamhead said..then hire a pro who has the equipment, and have him fire the boiler only to the radiator load..there will be some trial and error here..

• john_149
    john_149 Member Posts: 2

What if a replace the #1 Gorton at the end of the main with a new one. Does that have anything to do with the problem?
    Also with the vent off steam was coming out like it was a locomotive train and I filled up 2 20 oz plastic cups with water from the vent hole in about 2 hours.
  • mike jones_2
    mike jones_2 Member Posts: 92
    extra vent tap to supply side of rad

we heard this idea before but not from someone with your great rep.  it sounds like there is no downside if done at the same height as the normal vent. 

might it help stop the rad from staying cold when the vent stays full of water?  we are looking for a temp solution while we solve our wet steam problem. thanks Gerry!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    temporary solution

before you drill for a second vent, and have that vent fill up with water; find out why the wet steam is there.--nbc
  • mike jones_2
    mike jones_2 Member Posts: 92
    wet rad vents

is there any way to slow the water down while we are trouble shooting?

some bedrooms get very cold if every vent doesn't get dumped in this weather. 
This discussion has been closed.