Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

apprentice questions?

Options
I dont know about your states apprenticing guidelines, but here in RI when I register an apprentice,The apprenticeship officially starts from the day of registration, even If they were working for me prior to the registration.I have to show proof of them working. Thay also have to take 1000 of school over four years as well.They also get a picture license as well.I would check with your states licensing board to indeed see if you are registered. If not, and you were in RI it would have been all for naught. The thing is also, that if you even went to the licensing board with your paystubs over the last year to show you have been working, and were not registered, you could get your boss in serious trouble.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=424&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• theprentice
    theprentice Member Posts: 26
    Options
    apprentice help

I have been working with a very small company now for a little over a year. We specialize in hydronic heating, new construction, remodels, repairs and service, along with a little bit of common plumbing. Throughout the course of my employment with this company I have learned an incredible amount and am thouroughly enjoying this trade. I spoke with my employer about getting my hours documented with the state so that I could become a registered apprentice. He complied and said that he sent the required paperwork to the state. However this did not take place until about 11 months after my employment began. My ultimate question is after your are registered with the state shouldn't you recieve some sort of aprrenticeship card. What concerns me is that I am performing work by myself, unsupervised, that I'm sure normally requires at least a journeyman's license to be compliant with common code. I have on several occasions ran new gas lines, tied into existing gas lines, ran a multitude of hot and cold water lines, not including a multitude of boiler builds that obviously require proper venting. I'm simply concerned that my hours have not been properly documented, if at all, and any liability that I may face. I would like to know if there is any way that I can ensure that all the work I have put into to this trade has not been wasted. Thanks.
  • Alan(OnVacationInOregon)Forbes
    Options
    I'd be concerned

about your employer. I don't think it's proper form to send a 1-year apprentice out on his own to do any plumbing activities; that's scary.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    I cannot speak to

the details and legalities of the law or practice in your case; I will leave that to others.

I do want to commend you for being so thoughtful and circumspect about the entire situation. what it means in the big picture. It seems you are just starting out- your looking at all sides and asking questions will serve you well; I hope you stay with this career once you get the paperwork and legalities sorted out.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.