Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tjernlund Power Venters

king947
king947 Member Posts: 4
The company I work for is having a problem with two of the Tjernlund power venters a HS-2 and a SS2.. They seem to set the burner control on rest. We contacted Tjernlund and they had given us a wiring diagram to isolate the burner from the power venter. Wiring it will tell if the problem is in the power venter or the burner control. Well it came in again two weeks later where it is in the power venter. We contacted Tjernlund and they said they it can't be in the circuit board. Does anybody else have a problem with either of the power venters?

Comments

• Ron,

I had a prob with a Tj a few weeks back, I found them very helpful and I solved my prob. Search back on my previous posting "Tjernland Problems" and you`ll find Scott`s # from the Tj factory,,he`s very helpful.

Dave
  • Michael Welch
    Michael Welch Member Posts: 43
    Problems with TJ

We had a SS2 on a Viessmann boiler that was giving us very strange problems such as the power venter shutting off and letting the burner continue to run amongst the many different problems it was showing. TJ gave us the major run around was very reluctant to send us out a circuit board or pressure switch. Tried to say that we did not know what we were doing. We were very upset along with the homeowner who had also contacted Scott at TJ and was even more unhappy with TJ. In the end Viessmann steped up to the plate for us and took the power venter back and gave us a new one which has been running trouble free. In the future we will not be using TJ products based on there customer service to us.
  • Mellow_2
    Mellow_2 Member Posts: 204
    had problems

with an ss-1 circut board on a columbia boiler..... The guy on the phone swore the board was good so he sent out his reps to find the problem.......after they clean the fan on the power venter and told me how important it was to keep the fan soot free. they tested the controls and wiring.........when They tryed to turn the unit back on the board would not work anymore, it just would not send power to the burner.......A fun two hours later....... The boards will fail but you have to get their reps to pull the sheet over its circuts. good luck
  • JackFre
    JackFre Member Posts: 225
    What did the error code say?

First off, Ron, it could be the board, but check the self-diagnosis first. Check the maunal for the UC-1 control, but I think it is dip switches 1-8 into the on position and count the number of times the light flashes. This will tell if it is the prover, motor, etc. The UC-1 will retain the fault after a power outage.

As far as the wiring goes I've found it is much better to put all the controls in series. T-stat calls the a-stat, which makes and calls the venter which proves and THEN releases the call to the burner...or not.
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531

I carry a spare UC-1. When you cannot figure it out from the error codes and/ or symptoms swap it out and see what happens.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • king947
    king947 Member Posts: 4
    Tjernlund Power Venters

Jack:
    We checked the fault codes on the UC1 board and they came up with the same code on on both boards. You can check it on the sheet it was # 3 which the code for that is the proving switch did not close. We put on a new board and tested the old board at the shop. We did a test where we kept a wire off the proving switch and it went off in about 60 sec. making the power venter turn off, we had to turn the power switch off to restart the power venter. I talked with Scott. Tim, and Dave from Tjernlund and they all had some differant answers to our problem but they still would not say there is a problem with the board.
  • Scott Stafki
    Scott Stafki Member Posts: 7

Tjernlund Products uses the UC1 control to interlock a single heater to a side wall venting system. The UC1 control needs constant 115 VAC on terminals L and N, and is dependent on a signal from heater to activate the power venter. Tjernlund offers several ways for a contractor to interlock the heater to the venting system. The UC1 will respond to a call for heat signal by closing the motor relay which will activate the power venter. The impeller wheel will create a negative draw on the sensing tube, closing the normally open contacts of the fan proving switch. When the safety circuit is closed the original signal that activated the UC1 control will be redirected back to the point in the burner circuit where it was intercepted. At this point the heaters normal sequence of operation takes affect. The SS1 and SS2 have hi limits factory wired in series with the fan prover. The fan proving is normally open and the high limit switch is normally closed. If the fan proving switch closes and the high limit is tripped open the signal will never reach its destination and the burner will be locked out. If the heater continues to operate without the side wall venter you have a wiring issue, or a bad interlock relay on the UC1 circuit board. You can check continuity between terminals 3 & 4 of the UC1 interlock terminal strip. With no call for heat present there should be no continuity. I always do my best to offer technical service to each and every caller. Troubleshooting over the telephone can be difficult because both ends of the conversation have to correctly interpret what the other is saying and seeing. I'll be happy to assist you any way that I can. I can be reached 1t 1-800-255-4208 x 142

Scott Stafki
    Technical Support

• Scott Stafki
    Scott Stafki Member Posts: 7

Tjernlund Products uses the UC1 control to interlock a single heater to a side wall venting system. The UC1 control needs constant 115 VAC on terminals L and N, and is dependent on a signal from heater to activate the power venter. Tjernlund offers several ways for a contractor to interlock the heater to the venting system. The UC1 will respond to a call for heat signal by closing the motor relay which will activate the power venter. The impeller wheel will create a negative draw on the sensing tube, closing the normally open contacts of the fan proving switch. When the safety circuit is closed the original signal that activated the UC1 control will be redirected back to the point in the burner circuit where it was intercepted. At this point the heaters normal sequence of operation takes affect. The SS1 and SS2 have hi limits factory wired in series with the fan prover. The fan proving is normally open and the high limit switch is normally closed. If the fan proving switch closes and the high limit is tripped open the signal will never reach its destination and the burner will be locked out. If the heater continues to operate without the side wall venter you have a wiring issue, or a bad interlock relay on the UC1 circuit board. You can check continuity between terminals 3 & 4 of the UC1 interlock terminal strip. With no call for heat present there should be no continuity. I always do my best to offer technical service to each and every caller. Troubleshooting over the telephone can be difficult because both ends of the conversation have to correctly interpret what the other is saying and seeing. I'll be happy to assist you any way that I can. I can be reached 1t 1-800-255-4208 x 142

Scott Stafki
    Technical Support
This discussion has been closed.