Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pictures

Matt Undy
Matt Undy Member Posts: 256
Its always nice to start with a high resolution picture if you need to zoom in on detail. Storage space is relatively cheap especially when you want to see how something was 3 years later but you weren't focusing on that in your pictures. When you post something like 1024x768 or maybe 1280x1024 are good, you can probably also cut the quality setting a bit and save it at a higher resolution but higher compression(bit more loss of quality), especially if its some sort of piping question where people might need to zoom in on the post.

Gimp is a nice photo shop like utility that is gpl licensed (so you don't need to purchase it to use it..among many other things less relevant to this post) that I use. it does all of the editing and saving in various formats that you'd need ot post here.

Matt

Comments

• jackchips_2
    jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,337
    This is NOT

a complaint but a simple question.

Can someone explain why some pictures take forever (see Gary Wilson's Prius) while others come up in almost an instant?

Just a curious mind.

TIA,

Jack
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    What I saw

was a full size picture, 2816X2112 pixels, that FireFox reduced to 30% of the original size. If Gary had resized it (I am not complaining) to 600X800 for example, it probably would have loaded faster.

Just thinking.

• JimH
    JimH Member Posts: 89
    thanks for bringing this up!

I've noticed that many people post very large pictures here, pretty much straight out of the camera. These could
    generally be crunched down to about 200k without losing
    anything. I've done this both with iphoto and the "zoom
    browser" software that came with my canon.

JimH
  • Maine Doug_52
    Maine Doug_52 Member Posts: 71
    Most cameras

have an ajustment for picture quality. High quality can produce a multi-megabyte picture file. Middle picture quality perhaps around 600k to 800k file and of course low quality maybe 250k to 400k byte file. So when taking pictures, one should consider where the picture is going and adjust accordingly. It is really necessary to have a 3 meg picture which will print a very high quality 8x10 print of a boiler? Maybe yes so then the picture should be reduced in pixel count by reducing the size and/or reducing pixel count in a PC program before posting.

Picture takers can test this by taking pictures of the same subject at the various quality levels the camera may permit.
    In my camera, I use the middle quality setting unless I know I want to print large size prints.
    There are a variety of free programs that can be used to resize pictures and compress them so they can be quick on a dialup line. When I click on a Wall picture and it crawls on a cable internet line I click the little X in the top right corner and move on.
This discussion has been closed.