Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam rads stop working

Options
Ken_40
Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
Dan's "The Lost Art "

If you need lighter fare, "We got steam heat" covers all the bases and is written with the homeowner in mind.

If the presure is NOT an issue, simply put a smaller orificed vent in the rad that affects the 'stat, thereby "driving" the steam to the other rads.

Works like a charm (;-o)

Comments

• gary k
    gary k Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Steam Rads shut down

I am experiencing a steam rad shut down phenomina. During the coarse of heating 3 steam rads one one side of the steam main and one steam rad on another steam main shut down and go cold even while the thermostat is calling for heat. #1 Gortons are installed on the mains. One of the rads is in the room with the thermostat, so the rest of the house gets alot of heat and a few areas stay cold. The steam mains are hot in the basement. I found that if I shut off the furnace for about 5-10 min and refire the rads heat up again. Also, I found that if I leave the temp set constant on the thermostat, all rads heat. Need some advise, and which one of Dan's books would offer the best info.

thanks - gary
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    Lower your boiler pressure

The pressure's probably holding the vents closed. The impulse is to raise the pressure when a rad doesn't heat. Actually makes the problem worse.

Lower to .5 or 1# cut-in with 1# differential.

If pressuretrol is squirrelly, the line leading to it is probably clogged.
    terry
This discussion has been closed.