Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air vents

Options
chuck_6
chuck_6 Member Posts: 107
Peter:

You should also make sure the main vents are properly vented. Check the diameter and length of each main and submit it. If Steamhead answers you - listen to him. You can also speak to Ken at Gorton at (908) 276-1323. Properly venting the mains gives more options on the radiators.

Chuck

Comments

• Peter_15
    Peter_15 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Gorton air vents

I am planning on replacing all my air vents with Gorton air vents. However, I have a few questions. Should I use the #6 or the #C on our second floor radiators? I know their website recommends the #6 for second floor but why wouldn't I be better off with the #C? I am also curious as to why Gorton is recommended over an adjustable vent like Hoffman? Thanks!
  • Tareq Hasan
    Tareq Hasan Member Posts: 8
    Options
    From Dan's Book

I found this info from Dan's Book:

"The venting strategy:

Keep in mind your goal is to heat the building evenly. That means that on the coldest day of the year you want all the radiators to heat all the way across simultaneously. This is a challenge because some radiators are larger than others. Big radiators contain more air than small radiators. If you want a big and a small radiator to heat evenly, you'll have to vent the big radiator more quickly. This is why manufacturers make adjustable air vents, and air vents with various sizes of fixed vent holes.

But some installers get mixed up. They install the quick air vents far from the boiler, and the slow air vents close to the boiler. They don't pay attention to the size of the radiator when they're doing this. You see, if you use main vents, the steam will favor the main and arrive at most of the radiator supply valves simultaneously. That's why you should vent one-pipe radiators in relation to their size, not their location in the building. This is the key to balancing one-pipe steam heat."

Doesn't matter where radiators are located
    For 12 column radiator, I installed Gorton D.
    For 6 column radiator, I installed Gorton C.
    and so on...
    Make sure you have main vent in the basement.

-TH
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    True

That is correct.

We only add bigger vents to radiators that are not warming up as quickly as the others, after already considering the radiator size.

Most of the time I have to use a bigger vent for on a job with all similar sized radiators is for the 3rd floor, and second floor remote rads.

Remember the air vent's job- to let the air out. Some radiators, because of the riser height, have more air that needs to be vented than a similar sized radiator 2 floors below.

We vent the upper floor radiator with a larger vent so that that radiator will start getting warm when the radiators close to the main get warm. It is a matter of timing. Another way around that is to add a main vent before the upper floor radiators.

Cosmo
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    We do tons of steam

and love Gorton vents!

We found the use of anything larger than a #6 almost always a rad that was too small for the room it was in.

The generalizations in the Gorton "hand-out" are somewhat overly simplistic.

Rule one: Always put a # 4 in the rad(s) that impact the 'stat.

Rule two: Always put a # 5 in rads where cooler temps are desireable (like bedrooms or attics)

Rule three: Always put a # 6 in rads that are "comfort sensitive."

Rule four: After expereincing how the rooms comfort level works out on a modestly cool winter day; adjust from that starting point by switching things around to do what you want to do.

We tend to try to put the right vent in a rad with little regard to pipe insulation, main venting setup and over-pressured systems. Given that all steam systems (except vapor types) run best at 1/2 to 1-1/2 psi, make sure these three parameters are met before going extreme.

Going extreme in this instance would be using a 'C', or 'D' to overcome an undersized rad trying to heat an oversized room. (which is typically NOT a vent issue)
  • Peter_15
    Peter_15 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thanks for your help! I just started another thread showing some photos of my system. This site has been so helpful!
This discussion has been closed.