Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello lift issue again

You have a Riello at ceiling height with one oil line ? What is the total height from oil tank to oil burner connections ? What the total length of oil line ? What size ?

Damn good burner .... if you follow the oil line specs in the manual .

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,788
    Riello lift issue again

Last winter I was introduced to the fact that the riello can't lift; learned the hard way. Installed a Tiger and that was that. 19 out of 20 jobs are basic no fuss oil line runs.

So, about the same time, a little over a year ago, we installed another job where the one pipe oil line lifted to the ceiling (can not go low, 3 feet of wall between tank and boiler made of concrete and stone wall). All was fine until now.

The burner (40 F3) is losing its prime. There is no filter at the tank, and we're coming off the bottom. We have a spin on at the boiler, no leaks.

Why would we lose prime a year later? So, another tiger here too? Thanks, Gary

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    Whats your Vac reading

Can you make it a two pipe sysem? did you change filter? if these are all set , then i'd go with the tiger loop, riello wont pull, they dont suck either, Damm good burner !!

David
  • GW

Thanks Dave and Ron. We put a new spin on when we cleaned it out a month or two ago. I did not check the vac; i can if need be but certainly there's a problem that needs a fixin.

I'm guessing no more than 7 feet of total vertical lift, maybe even 6.5. I'd say around a 20 foot horz run.

Is this actually a lift situation? what's being pulled on is being offset by the oil falling down, yes no?

I'm just wondering why it worked all this time and and just now dookied.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,554
    You

need to put a vacuum gauge on it and see what's happening otherwise you're just guessing.

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

You touched it. Thats what went wrong.

I HATE it when that happens!

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ahh , I get it now

Yes , whatever height you went up should be cancelled out with whatever equal drop there is . Is the Riello and the oil tank at the same level ?

And what size oil line was used ? The vacuum gauge is a must to troubleshoot what's really going on . Could be something as simple as a clog at the tank or in the oil line itself .
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 612

This is an overhead oil line????
  • GW
    guesser

well I'm cornered now...

I did put the gage on at the other problem job we had, the needle barely moved, way in the green. It didn't lift at all. So I'm curious what exactly the gage will tell me. I could see if it was a beckett or carlin

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Back to the book

An oil pump is not a circulator,so what goes up MUST be pulled and is not offset by what goes down. your height of 6.5'-7' should be no problem for the Riello.Total height plus horizontal length =pump vacuum.What O.D.tubing? 1 or 2 pipe? compression fittings?If the problem just started after you installed the spin-on ,then look there first .Too tight /too loose?Converting to 2 pipe should take care of any lift problem,my book showes 3/8 can lift upto 20' and 1/2 can lift upto 65'.The vac guage is a must,no guessing! Did the overhead oil line suffer a crimp? An "electronic sightglass" (used mostly in ACR )will tell you if cavitation is part of the problen.
  • GW

It's a 3/8 with flares, 1 pipe. my guy installed a tiger today. Maybe my tech installed the spin on too tight/loose? it still went 6 weeks without acting up, still a mystery. if it wasn't for the mystery aspect i would not have bothered asking the question; just thought it was strange.

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    The height is nonly balanced after there's oil in both lines.

In other words, after the pump is primed. One other thing that's bitten me more than once. In fact it happened on a job we're just finishing. We swore to each other the lines were tight. And they were. Still seemed like a leak.

Any more whenever I have a suspicion we have an air leak we shut the valve off at the tank and pressurize the line. Easy to find that way. :)
This discussion has been closed.