Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Considering Radiant Heat-Have questions

Daisy
Daisy Member Posts: 1
My first home is a big rehab project. I will be pouring a new concrete slab downstairs and replacing most of the flooring upstairs with hardwood and tile. It is a small home, just under 900sf. I would love to upgrade from my noisy central air heating to the comfort of Radiant, but wonder whether I should be looking at electrical vs. hydronic; I also want to know about cost vs. energy savings in the next 2 yrs I will be living in this house, considering I already have a furnace; and insulation issues with the concrete slab, which will also have drainage pipes under it. And who are the companies I should be pricing out?... Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    radiant heat questions

A home of that size, just a little smaller than mine will required very little energy to heat. I have a mix of baseboard and radiant heat and with hot water demand for two people, we use approx. 400 gallons of fuel (oil). You need to look at energy costs in your area and compare them to make your decision. Electric radiant is easy and relatively inexpensive to install, and electric heat is nearly 100% efficient, but can be very costly as a fuel source. Use the FIND A PRO section and chose a contractor that is willing to spend the time to explain to you what your options are. He should be willing to listen to what you want and offer you the best options, with comparisons to other options and fuel choices.
This discussion has been closed.