Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Second story floor noise radiant heat

Ed_26
Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
What was used to fasten the piping? You say it is screwed to the floor? Copper pipe straps? Some other kind of metal?
Must not have used plates, with those temps.

Comments

• John Greco
    John Greco Member Posts: 3
    Floor noise

I have a new construction two story home with radiant throughout. Buderus boiler with Wirsbo tubing. When heating the second floor loud noises occur as if expanding and contracting. When they brought their run from the basement they came up an interior wall and then tucked the tubing alongside a thirty foot steel beam. There is also a manifold that controls the returns at the end of the run. It sits up very close to the beam. Is it possible that the beam is twisting from the heating and shifting the floor joist? As an aside, temperatures for my zones are at 160 degrees. Please advise

Thank you
    John
  • Troy_3
    Troy_3 Member Posts: 479
    Sounds a little high

You might want a local expert who actually knows radiant to look at this setup. It may not need to be that high. Where are you located? Have you called the installing contractor? That is the best place to start it may just be an oversight. Lower temps. means less expansion.
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    method

What installation method was used for the radiant floor?

Some methods are notorious for expansion noise.
  • John Greco

The tubing is attached to clips that are screwed from the bottom to the 3/4 plywood. It really seams like the tempature is effecting the steel beam because the noise repeats itself when the cooling cycle takes place.

Thanks

John
  • John Greco

I am in Northern NH so cold is common. I can throttle the mixers back some. Will that make the boiler run longer thus costing more in fuel oil? I will lob a call to installer...Any thoughts on whether or not the steel beam will twist with heating? As I posted in another reply, the floors seem to settle back out on the cooling side of things and then repeats the cycle when heat is put to it.

Thank you and all who comment...

John
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Sounds like a suspended tube method

and they do require some elevated temperatures, 160 at or near design may be right.

Does it heat all the rooms ok?

I suspect you do have some expansion noises. Did you see the tube before it was covered up? Sometimes if they put a clip at the loop end it forces the tube to move and buckle somewhere. Usually a softer ticking noise.

I've never thought about the steel beam expansion. Certainly possible. My steel roof and many steel sided buildings will make noise when the sun hits.

I have a friend with a steel framed home. Studs, joists, rafters, roofing, etc. It REALLY pops and bang when the sun hits it, and in the evening cool down. More of a loud snap noise.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.