Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Homeowner Warning !

Matt Undy
Matt Undy Member Posts: 256
I've got some Orangeburg if you want it. I have about 2 5' sections and the rest is scattered in bits throughout piles of dirt in the yard I'm sure you could sift these out and glue them back together with roof cement. It is after all the root proof pipe.

Matt

Comments

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Homeowner and DIY Warning!!

I have often seen posted and have verified a very expensive mistake that homeowners and DIYs make.

While radiant suppliers have every right to sell packages here, they may miss lead you to believe that the installation of the in-floor heat loops and related manifolds,insulation etc. are a breeze to install.

Remember that improper placed loops,improper spaced loops,the length of loops and the fine details should be done or coached by experienced installers.

These systems are cast in stone and corrective action due to improper design or installation can cost you not only thousands of dollars in remedial work but the very heat efficiencies you are trying to achieve.

Those of us on "the Wall" who do radiant have no problem with homeowners who want to save money by helping out,but nothing is more frustrating to us than trying to balance or make functional distribution systems that have been installed wrong!

Do your homework as a few hours asking questions may save you tons of money and frustration!

Rich K.

Make Peace Your Passion!
  • Thanks Rich,

certainly sounds "familiar" to a recent HO posting I had!

Dave
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Perhaps you can help then...

The local Farm & Fleet store had this wonderful sale on garden hoses in December. Really good ones for about $5 each.

So if I run those, and leave the ends exposed at the central joist to connect to; and poor glypcrete it should work right.... I figrued that 2 100 ft garden hoses for the living room, 1 for the kitchen, a 50 footer for the bathroom, and because I want warm bedrooms - two 100 footers for each bedroom. I can just loop them so they are even.

It should be easy to connect the hot water and colder return hoses. Can I use garden hose their too?

Do I need more hoses - or will this all work?

Thanks folks,

I'll check back.

• Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    piping

Yup! go to the co-op & get yur hoses & slam em' in. Someone will fix-er' up! (if it don't work)
  • Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,908
    Don't waste your money.

> The local Farm & Fleet store had this wonderful

> sale on garden hoses in December. Really good

> ones for about $5 each.

>

> So if I run those, and

> leave the ends exposed at the central joist to

> connect to; and poor glypcrete it should work

> right.... I figrued that 2 100 ft garden hoses

> for the living room, 1 for the kitchen, a 50

> footer for the bathroom, and because I want warm

> bedrooms - two 100 footers for each bedroom. I

> can just loop them so they are even.

>

> It should

> be easy to connect the hot water and colder

> return hoses. Can I use garden hose their

> too?

>

> Do I need more hoses - or will this all

> work?

>

> Thanks folks,

>

> I'll check back.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • In Jest

Nope! This is a "gag" right???

Dave
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    In Jest...

Thanks Buddy! i just invented a new tool soon to revolutinate the hydronic community *~/:)

Its called the Shreddah.. works like a motorized snake...cut the hose at the floor and feed the Shredda down the hose...then once it is completely spun into dust you throw the wedgie fitting into the slab run the compressor up to like 300 psi and give it a blast...everything shoots out the opening farthest away then one simply pluggs the new pex with a gert magnetic screw ,,the tube has a chinese finger puller on one end of it and the tubing goes through a preheat chamber.. as that is happening it is pulled out into the oversized raceway:)

once it is dialed in either to the correct length for the area or about as close to half way hammer jack the floor out, put a (90) on the tube and run it back to the headder ,shoot some SLU around the new tubing...:) it will be a constant topic of conversation having a couple pieces of pex expanding and contracting on the floor ...and Hey! Problem solved:)
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    you want radiant?

Try this...
  • Uni R_2
    Uni R_2 Member Posts: 589
    Excellent Mitch!

Is the hose and rad from the same car? I really like well matched equipment.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    In Jest?

Gentlemen,

I realize that you are being a little extreme here but we should probaly post a warning like this about once a week. I am sure hundreds of consumers are given advice by dept. clerks at various box stores and internet sites that quite frankly could create a money pit out of their so-called state of the art in-floor systems.

If they have the expertise and ambition I say "Go for .
    It".If not bring in a professional!

Rich Kontny

Make Peace Your Passion!
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    yes

'45 Pontiac
This discussion has been closed.