Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brickset boilers

"How to get the Best from One-Pipe Steam", Frank Gerety refers to this type of boiler as a "thermal sieve" and recommends replacement. I can't find my copy at the moment, but maybe someone else who has this book can give some more specifics.

Comments

• Joe_55
    Joe_55 Member Posts: 62
    Brick set Boilers

Hi. All: Anyone out there familiar with brick set boilers
  • When used with oil or gas burners

this type of boiler is very inefficient. The reason is that the brick setting has a lot of thermal mass and it takes a lot of fuel to heat up. These boilers were best used with the constant heat of a coal fire.

Tell us more about this boiler- who made it, what it's being used for, etc.
  • Joe_55
    Joe_55 Member Posts: 62

Thanks Steam Head: I'm not sure the maker but this boiler is heating a 35 family apartment house in the Bronx N.Y.with a #4 heavyoil burner steam radiation. works well just wondering about its efficiency Thanks JB.
  • c.t.kay
    c.t.kay Member Posts: 85
    boiler

about 40%-50% effc.there is not much you can do with them.most get replaced with scotch type boilers.at 35 units the size is about 70 hp.duel fuel 2@gas is a possibilty but remember the bronx is coedison territory,and has very low gas pressures +-4" at the building wall.you are better off putting in a carlin 702crd.
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Increase the boiler

efficiency by filling & capping the combustion chamber area & installing a flame retention burner, oil or gas-oil, thru the fire box door. Now you don't have to heat the fire brick on each start & off cycle heat losses are reduced. If, as most are, it is a fire tube boiler -install turbulators in the tubes. Install a properly sized barometic. Oh yeah, ditch the #4. Less than 5,000 btus per gallon more than #2 & more difficult to keep combustion in the window. A clean boiler more than makes up for btus vs cost per gallon in mid size units.

Now, if the boiler is in reasonable shape, you are fairly close to what a newer cast iron sectional can give - efficiency wise. A viable alternative to replacement, for fewer $$$.
  • Al Corelli
    Al Corelli Member Posts: 454

I remember those. The floors would stay hot for days while we carried bricks "forever".

Some memories are not welcomed back so easily. My back hurts now.
This discussion has been closed.