Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for new water heater coil - where to buy?

Options
Leo
Leo Member Posts: 770
If he shuts down the boiler in the summer and it is an older oil boiler he now faces a plugged boiler every fall or a boiler full of a concrete like sub stances that takes a few hours to remove.

Leo

Comments

• Charles_8
    Charles_8 Member Posts: 74
    Options

My (tankless weater heater) coil is unable to maintain temperature with even modest shower demands. The aquastat is working properly. Although I haven't removed it, since it is 25 years old it's probably safe to assume that there is heavy scale and corrosion both inside and out. Rather than clean it, due to its age I'd rather just replace it.

I live in a remote area where there are no stores that sell steam heating parts. Searching online comes up with every part I could possibly need, except for a new coil! Everyone wants to sell me a new tankless heater, apparently...

Can anyone recommend a location, and about what I might expect to pay for a new one?
    thanks
    Charles
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    you might try

having it cleaned at a radiator repair shop. Just pressure test it before you re-install it. Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options
    option

you might consider scrapping the coil & adding a separate water heater. you can shut the boiler down in the summer.
  • bob young
    Options
    concrete in boilers ???

care to elaborate,Leo ? i have not seen this happen. i might be missing something all these years.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Crusty

Hi Bob,

My experience has been on a steamer that sits idle all summer, particularly an older JOT or WM (we are talking oil here) that a crusty substance forms that often gets like concrete. Once this forms it can create a sooting problem or excessive back pressure over the fire resulting in burnt burner parts. Ever see one of these boilers with a burnt front, guess how that happened. I service oil and get to see all kinds of neat and not so neat things.

Leo
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options
    charles,...

Get the model and make of your unit, the bolt pattern and size, this needs to be exact in all dimensions, the boiler model and make and give everhot in watertown mass...a call they are veery helpfull and tell them your rural plight and perhaps they will give you the trade price. 617-924-3877 or 1-800-654-8045 or see if the boiler manufacturer still manufactures that design. They have not changed much in the last 50 years or so, generally you can get a new coil for anything and I do mean anything! Just don't be too agressive with removing the old unit the studs frequently break, have an eazy out, drill, and a new tap ready...generally 3/8" in size also use the orange high temp sealant for the new gasket, avalable at any automotive store and do not tighten the crap out of the new unit even 10-15 inch pounds, this is just past finger tight...you can easily damage the new unit by to much tourque. you can always tighten it up a little if necessary. Under no circumstances, very important,do not use Rectoseal on any rubber component; save the rectorseal for the pipe threads, not on rubber!!! Try to clean conservativly around the old cast iron and any large rust flakes should be chipped off, I have filled in gaps as large as 1/4 inch in the past, but over tightining causes leaks.
  • bob young
    Options
    oil lesson

GOTCHA LEO. I learned something today. yes, i have seen the conditions you describe and never paid it much mind since i work strictly on gas except on new boiler installations where we erect boiler and all pertinent pipework ,etc. my oil guy takes over the fine-tuning when the bullwork is completed. but even then i do not set up, install & fire the burner. my oil knowlege is far too limited. i am glad i opened this can of worms. thanks bro. guess the coil stays ! lol
This discussion has been closed.