Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Repair

With todays labor rates, labor is the big ticket. It's not worth the time, and it would take a lot longer, to take apart a block to replace a section unless it's a commercial unit.

Comments

• Ian_4
    Ian_4 Member Posts: 1
    Replace a Steam Boiler

I have a Burnham steam boiler that is less than eight years old. Unfortunately the block has a crack in it (I am told it was a bad casting) and it is leaking steam and water.

It is still working - the water level has been reduced along with the pressure - but obviously will need a repair.

I am told that the block is a warranty item ($800) but the repair will cost in the region of $3000 - $4700 (two different quotes so far). Acording to the warranty the replacement labor is not covered. This seems unbelievable too me - at best an illusory warranty.

Any ideas on what I should do? Replace the whole system? Will a new steam boiler fail again in ten years (one plumber told me to expect this)? Change to forced hot water or forced air (and install central AC at the same time)?

Any ideas?
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557

We don't talk prices here as every situation is different. But that is how the warranties work on all boilers and furnaces, I believe. Yeah, I know, it's a pain in the pocket. The warranties generally apply only to the original purchaser of the equipment which can also seem unfair. What is the model number of the boiler and where are you located?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Keep the steam

If there's any warranty left, Burnham is a company that will honor it. And they just came out with a new steam boiler, the Mega-Steam, which is the most efficient residential steamer on the market.

A complete tear-out and replacement with something else will cost much, much more, and if done wrong will not give you the same comfort. I have yet to experience a forced-air system that gave any real winter comfort at all- putting that in would be a waste of money.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405

"Will a new steam boiler fail again in ten years (one plumber told me to expect this)?"

What is the expected life span for a well-maintained steam boiler?
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Steam Boiler life

I'm a homeowner. My boiler is 25 years old. Steam professionals looked at it this year and say it should last quite a while longer. I've done my best to maintain in the 10 yrs I've owned the home, but probably nothing was done in the first 15 yrs. This is a single pipe system...about as simple as it gets. Works great.
  • Dan_29
    Dan_29 Member Posts: 111
    boiler section replacement

I know we don't discuss prices here, nevertheless, why would replacement of cast iron sections,in a boiler, cost so much?
    I understand you have to to a lot of disconnecting and reconnecting to do plus some new non-warranty parts. Is it not similar to replacing an engine in a car in which the material (engine) cost is more than the labor? Just curious...

Dan
This discussion has been closed.