Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

thermal shock condensing boiler

Kevin G_2
Kevin G_2 Member Posts: 20
Can you take some pictures and post them. where are you located.
Kevin G

Comments

• bill h_3
    bill h_3 Member Posts: 2
    thermal shock ?

hi, we recently purchased a property that has hot water heat, 3 pumped heating zones, myson radiators and munhkin boiler with t-stats, the boiler will make loud vibrations when a zone calls after being off for a while. we were told the system was only 2 years old and looks professional. any sugestions?
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Search the site for Munch problems,...

Thermal shock is not a problem, so says the manufacturer, in fact they claim the lower the return, cold, the more efficient it is. Personally I am very opinionated about munchkin noise, in that the fan impeller shroud should be replaced AS it makes a lot of noise for the month or so just before it fails, sometimes they continue to run, somtimes they jam and stop. The problem is that you can adjust a failed fan, one in which the impeller has disentegrated, and a/the noise goes away, but you still have fan pieces or a fractured fan! It was poor design issue. Others will have you doing combustion tests as a first step but this dosent adress the fan issue. And YES new units have the same fan issue, it hasn't gone away.
  • Couderay
    Couderay Member Posts: 314
    Looks

Looks can be deceiving pics on the other hand tell a story. In this case cold return is good for efficency.Being a condensing boiler its whats for dinner.Many things including the fan I suppose could be the reason,but more info is needed. Again pictures would help.
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

I was under the impression that the fan problems were handled. If not, why does HTP have the problem when other brands of boilers use similar materials and do not have the same problem?

Dave in Denver

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bill h_3
    bill h_3 Member Posts: 2

chris, thanks for the info, i'll attempt to take pics, is the only real cure a replacement of boiler with different make/model.
  • Guy_6
    Guy_6 Member Posts: 450
    fans

Unfortunately, once an issue surfaces, it becomes the root of everything that happens to a boiler. In this case, I would be far less likely to suspect the fan, and more prone to looking toward a flow issue. Are there zone valves on the system? Is the circulator sized correctly? Is the piping the correct size and is there a primary loop?
    There is a lot of heat left in the boiler even after the flame shuts down; if the flow was insufficient to begin with, the water in the boiler is hotter than expected. Upon shutdown, the latent heat boosts that up even further, causing "flashing", which is literally steam.
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Guy,??

Munchkins can not flash.
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Then what explains

the dwarf near where I work who was arrested for doing just that? Huh?

:)
This discussion has been closed.