Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Schematics and Piping

Brad White_9
Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
Makes for a nice presentation.

My own critique of it is based on my facility with AutoCAD and what I expect another program to do. (IOW perhaps this is an unfair expectation.)

Specifically, in HydroniCad when I want to intersect a line, it defaults to grabbing the nearest end of that line, rather than making a perpendicular node connection. That is one example and maybe I have not used it enough. I have to make a lot of equal line (pipe) segments. I am sure with more practice or if this was the only program I used, I would become more adept.

Such refinements can and probably will be made by Siggy and Mario, if they are conveyed. Have been too busy to do so but intend to. I have spoken with other users who have made similar comments.

There is no program quite like it.

My second choice is HVAC Solution which is marketed by Elite Software. There is a "Light" version marketed by Taco for the hydronic side only. It may even be free-ware. See the Taco site. Taco "LoadMatch" fittings and applications are one noteworthy feature.

I was just being a smart@$$ regarding the pencil by the way :)

Cheers!

Brad

Comments

• Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    Software for piping

I know I asked this before but what are you guys using for your near boiler piping and radiant panel piping? I want something simple, but not so simple that it cannot get the job done.

Thanks,

Rob
  • Brad White_9
    Drawing/Diagramming or Calculating Sizes?

For drafting of tubing layouts I use LoopCAD but for regular piping I use AutoCAD which is common and nearly universal in .dwg formats.

For calculations, a chart works well. Not at all complicated.

A chart and a pencil work wonders. After 30 years in this business (as of next month) they have not let me down :)
  • Rob Blair
    HydroniCad?

Thanks Brad,

I know that a pencil and ruler will work, that has been the method so far. Just thought that the HydroniCad looks like it might fill the bill, unless it is too generic.

Rob

• Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    \"Depends\"

Is usually a valid answer concerning hydronics.

What do you want to do with the software? Brad always gives sage advice. Autocad and Siggy's hydronicCAD are great software packages.

I use Visio. I have been using it for about 5 years now and I find it to cover all of my needs. A lot of different manufactures offer stencils so it can be as simple as "drag & drop". It depends on the level of detail you are trying to accomplish.

Regards,

PR
  • Brad White_9
    Visio

Thanks for the compliment, Paul. :)

I should have mentioned Visio- Maybe you can post one of yours to show the possibilties. You have mastered Visio like no one I have seen.
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Thanks Brad

Here is one that shows a little bit of versatility.

You can draw mechanical and electrical diagrams (page 1&2), import pictures from other software like Siggy's Hydronic Design Software or B&G System Syzer (page 3&5). actual pictures as in pg4 seem to be the most helpful, especially when working with electricians.

I just like the ability to document my jobs. You can also make your own stencils and re-use them. I made the electrical stencil for the Knight Boiler shown on page 2.

Regards,

PR
  • Rob Blair

Wow Paul, nice work! Are you using the Visio Professional Version? I would think so. I am sure you started using that last week!! Ha-Ha!!

I have to make a decision soon cause my electric pencil sharpener just puked on me yesterday.

Thanks,

Rob
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Visio Basic

I did purchase the "Visio 03 Standard" update a while back. But this is an affordable piece of software.

Regards,

PR
This discussion has been closed.