Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant heat under cabinets

Options
Brian K_2
Brian K_2 Member Posts: 3
Thanks everyone for your help. The Wirsbo design manual shows the loop running under the cabinets and fixture so I figured I would check.

I have enough floor space for the amount of piping to meet my heat loss calc without running under them. The cabinets are also on an inside wall.

Regards,

Brian

Comments

• Brian K_2
    Brian K_2 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Radiant heat under kitchen cabinets

I am installing a staple up radiant floor heating system and was wondering if there are any advantages, or disadvantages of installing tubing under kitchen cabinets,
    My supplier did a heat loss and design and said I should not count the area under the kitchen cabinets for running tubing. I thought radiant heats objects in the room also.

Any problems installing under fiberglass tub/shower units or porcelan fixtures.

Thanks for your help.

Brian
  • Paul Rohrs_4
    Paul Rohrs_4 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Penicillin Anyone?

Years ago before being properly schooled, my boss installed tubing under his cabinetry.

They had a bread drawer that ultimately became a penicillin factory due to all of the mold that developed.
    The bread is no longer stored in the lower cabinets.

"Food" for thought.

When I design, I remove all tubing from under vanities, cabinetry, and stairways. I would rather place the heat where it will heat the home. I have not had an unhappy customer yet.

Regards,

PR
  • Ed_26
    Ed_26 Member Posts: 284
    Options
    tubing

Keep the tubing away from the toilet-it will melt the waxseal. or you can use the foam gasket seal. Min. distance is 6" - but that depends on temps.
  • Maine Doug_52
    Maine Doug_52 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    i used

the seals designed for this application and ran the tubing all around the base. no cold feet zone. i had to buy the seals as the plumber was going to use wax.
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    I go under the kitchen

sink cabinet, with one loop, to assure the water lines stay warm. Same with bath cabinets if they are on outside walls.

Actually one single loop just a few inches in from the outside walls, under cabinets, will not overheat the cabinets. Keeps a little heat in that toe kick area.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mike Thomas_2
    Mike Thomas_2 Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Under the tub

I would run it under the tub. Nothing like a warm tub!

• your supply house is right about not counting it for output purposes... the cabinets will slow down heat transfer enough to make that wise.

That said, you could put pipe under them and insulate the bottoms of the cabinets to prevent garbage cooking/mold growth. That way, if they or anyone else ever redoes the kitchen, the heat is everywhere.

But, no one does this ;)
This discussion has been closed.