Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air scoop issues

Options
in two weeks I went to replace an expantion tank and went to give it a tighten up w/ my 10" channel locks and the American air puger cracked....anyone have issues w/ these too...does the cast get brittle as it ages....should I just hand tighten it? kpc

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=323&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• burninben
    burninben Member Posts: 33
    Options

I have good luck w/ spirovents. I have had issues tightening nipples too tight into a female cast fitting.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    something that i learned along time ago...

when i could remember they were called air scoops:)), sorry, is that the nipple that you remove "seats" over time and rust forms at that depth...remove it and you wont have that problem any more.
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    in both cases...

it was just the extrol tank..nothing else...boiler fill was elsewhere...no rust.I was not even to the depth of where it was when I removed the old tank. kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Never had

that happen to me yet Kevin, but having said that, the next one probably will. But I do run a tap through first, just a habit I got into.

Dave
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    use a wire brush

> I have good luck w/ spirovents. I have had

> issues tightening nipples too tight into a female

> cast fitting.

on both male and female threads, then teflon, then pipe dope. you wont have to tighten much more than hand tight. Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    use a wire brush

on both male and female threads, then teflon, then pipe dope. you wont have to tighten much more than hand tight. Bob Gagnon

To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    I've seen that happen...

Since, I've learned to only tighten things "half a turn before they break".

Some cast fittings appear to get brittle after use.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Lurkin' Murkin'
    Lurkin' Murkin' Member Posts: 136
    Options
    A bucket for monsuior?

Also had that happen, when installing a new tank directly into an old system's scoop. Used joint compound over teflon tape and only hand tightened, like usual. Scoop split clean in half. Late night job for a friend, on a real cold night - kept it running with wood clamps and duct tape until able to get parts next day...
  • Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    Options
    feel your pain

probably had it happen about 4-5 times in the last 17 years. A few were on night calls. Can you say hissyfit, anyone?

These days, it's the usual teflon, then Megaloc, and then an 8" adjustable w/ one hand delicately tightening until snug. I still cringe.

Had more than one Spiro incident where if the nipple gets too tight in the Spiro it actually clamps off water passage into the Spiro. The nipple end somehow pushes the rubber grommet inside to block water. Talk about aggravation when the boiler won't get fed at 6 pm!!
  • Bryan_17
    Bryan_17 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Spirovent

I found that if you over tighten the nipple on the 1/2" inlet you can jam up the internal spiro. By doing this the vent will not work properly.
This discussion has been closed.