Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Light bulb on boiler when not working?

Options
device you plug in to 120v and the light into it. set desired on temp and when the room cools to the setpoint the light comes on

Comments

• Harry Corle
    Harry Corle Member Posts: 1
    Options
    light bulb as safety

I have a customer with a boiler whose house sits empty. I need to know if I can put a light on it when the boiler goes out completely and how to wire it? any help would be helpful.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Winter Watchman

Used for simple no heat applications when nobody is home. The neighbor can see the light is on and and that there is a problem.

Mike T.
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178
    Options

If the unit is oil, you could also use a primary control with a set of alarm contacts that would be tied to a relay and power a light to let you know when the unit goes off on lockout.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Hmmm...

I wonder if it would be safer to have a light that stays ON while the boiler is OK and only goes off when it's not. Otherwise, if the light bulb burns out, the system will not work, the house will freeze, etc. If the neighbor knows to look for a shining bulb, then a broken bulb will lead him/her just as much into the house as a bad boiler.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    You have to ask yourself 1 question..

Does the bulb in the fridge really go off when the door is close or is that a design myth??? Hmmmm. Overanalyzing here....:-)

Mike T.
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    Options
    There is also a unit which I believe is called Freeze Alert.

It shorts out your phone line so there is a busy signal when called. There are no phone charges because no one picks up.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Sid Harvey makes 'em

About 50-60 bucks a pop.

Problem? If you should call while someone else is also calling - but they "get there first" - always call a few times to assure it is "on," and you need to intercede.
  • scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 209
    Options

A much safer alternative. If the phone is connected in the house you can buy a device made by sensa-phone.

You program the sensaphone for a high and low temp. If the temp goes above or below the range you set it will call up to five telephone numbers with a voice alert anouncing an alert condition exists and will state the temp of the room the device is located. It will continue to call the telephone numbers programed unless someone picks up the phone calls the sensaphone (homeowners telepone number) to disable it.

You can also set this up to let you know if the basement is taking on water.
  • rjm
    rjm Member Posts: 60
    Options
    what about using a switch relay

• rjm
    rjm Member Posts: 60
    Options
    other options

how about using a t87 that runs to a switching relay(sr501) and then you will have a 120v to plug a light in.
    or if it;s an oilfire installa carlin 50200 control and wire it to the same type switching relay(but only good if t burner locks out)
    or you can do what i did, because my parents go to snow birds i have a real cheap devise i got a lowes that call me if the house temperture drops below 55..
This discussion has been closed.