Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Utility Service man was.... Speachless when he saw the Vitodens.

Options
At least your utility company serviceman knew what it is... Mine thought it was an "instant" domestic water heater when they came to inspect after replacing the gas main!

BTW, I still don't quite understand how the <I>outside</I> of the combustion chamber was covered with condensation as I fired the boiler in test (full output) mode.

Utility guy just kind of shook his head when I had him touch the chamber after it had fired for at least a minute and after I had him touch the now hot supply pipe. Cool and covered with <I>atmospheric</I> condensation...

Comments

• Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Options
    Utility Service man was.... Speachless when he saw the Vitodens.

After changing my gas meeter the Gas Utility man went down to restart my boiler (actually I did the restart - but his job was to ensure that it went well).

Down to the basement we went and all the sudden his eyes went wide, his mouth dropped open, he almost ran back and fourth in front of the boiler, hot water heater, and trancing the new piping back to where the old boiler used to be... and started to stutter: "This... this.... this is.... this is the.... ca... ca.... cadilac!"

"No" I said after he calmed down a bit, its better. He got a big grin and said "Rolls Royce." Yup - and it wasn't cheap.

He spent about 15 minutes studying the install and talking about the features (while I restarted the boiler). He had never seen one, and rarely sees an installation done so well...

I took the cover off and opened the inner cover to show him the guts and explain some of the features... He used to be a service guy for a heating contractor... Did he drool.

Now maybe its not perfect - and maybe you guys fault a few things on its install; but, he's sure going to be telling people about it (starting with the 7:30 shop meeting in the morning).

Oh, and he did want to know who I had do the install - and I told him, along with telling him that it wasn't the cheapest boiler and hot water tank on the market. He said he already knew that...

So, one very happy utility guy left my house tonight...

Perry
  • Vermonter
    Vermonter Member Posts: 57
    Options
    So where are the photos?

I'd love to see it too!
  • Perry_3
    Options
    Pictures (these have been posted before)

The grey box to the upper right is a large industrial electrical surge protector from ( www.brickwall.com ) that will not degrade from surges (about $300).

The gallon jug under the sink is a deflector jug and does not fill up with water (when I built the white wall I moved the sink out about 7" so that the sink drain no longer lines up with the floor drain pit; something to fix someday).

And yes I know that I'm pumping to the LLH, the air scoop is not in the ideal position, and a few other things. I chose which battles to fight on the install. Also I did try to talk them into facing the hot water heater tank out - but they wanted it faced in its current postion to minimize fittings and so none of them were behind the tank.

I have a mid 50's house with cast iron baseboard with a single loop monoflo T system.

I have the adapter and a Low Water Cutoff to install where the relief valve is on the top left of the boiler (with the relief valve then being installed above the LWCO); and plan on adding an Uninteruptible power supply once the LWCO is wired in (to only cut the burner circuit - and not the whole boiler power supply).

Perry
  • Maine Doug_52
    Maine Doug_52 Member Posts: 71
    Options
    way cool but

where is the mini-nuke? in the big box right? it just looks like a vitodens???
  • Perry_3
    Options
    I had to consider what happens when I sell the place.

When I move on - the new homeowners will have to be able to operate the heating system. So I stuck in a plain old Vitodens...

Now my car is another matter - and I can take that with me, and it can be landfilled all by itself if need be when I'm done with it.

I'll blow some nutrons your way when I pass all you folks on the highway some day.

It's also nice that most of my gas station stops are now just potty and food stops...

Perry
  • William Faust
    William Faust Member Posts: 168
    Options
    Perry...

you don't realize it, but you are actually an artist. The plumbing and heating thing just gives you a palette with which to work.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    You are very cool :)

you always have some new way of saying some good thing. i might even change my opinion on getting a utility to admitt a mistake*~/:)
This discussion has been closed.