Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Direct Vent

Options
I see old houses all the time with new oil fired equipment, has long has you have good readings in chimney it should be OK. That said, direct vent is quiet. It uses the burner motor (fan) to remove fumes unlike powervents which use a motor and can be loud and require maintaince.If you are set on lining chimney some companys can install a rubber bladder in chimney which gets filled with air and then a pure a lite cement mix, once dryed the air is let out of bladder and you have a new/old lined chimney.

Comments

• RickC
    RickC Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Direct Vent Oil Fired Boiler

I currently live in a house built in 1863. I bought it last year and put in a new Burnham V-8 series boiler. The company that installed it told me that it could be vented into an unlined chimney. At that point in time I took there word for it. Every contracotr has their own opinion. I was getting some work done on my house and 2 contractors scared my wife horribly by telling her that this issued had to be resolved ASAP for the safety of my family. So I took there advice and tried to get the chimney lined. Unfortunetly because the chimney is very "unique" it cannot be lined. If I want a lined chimney basically I have to build a new one. So in comes direct venting. Every heating contractor I talk to see it's a bad idea. That direct vents are noisy and troublesome. Any input here would be appreciated.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

I get the feeling we are talking power venter, not direct vent. By unique I assume you mean that it bends on the way up. Have you tried other chimney companies to see if others know how to handle your situation.
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260
    Options

Try Z Flex
  • Bernie Riddle_2
    Bernie Riddle_2 Member Posts: 178
    Options

"unlike powervents which use a motor and can be loud and require maintaince."

Yes I can vouch for power venters being LOUD.

I have one in my basement venting a Crown CT35 boiler and its definatley not a good setup....

Its about ready to hit the road for a direct vent unit....
This discussion has been closed.