Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiant heat

Options
Since I'm not going to use the radiant heat in the basement I would like to purchase an electric heater for my finished area. How do I calcuate how many BTU's I will need.

Comments

• plumbers gal
    plumbers gal Member Posts: 6
    Options
    radiant heat

I have radiant heat in the house I live in and intend to buy. Its in the ceiling and basement. Presently the system is not being used in the cellar and the owner tells me not to worry if its turned off,or if it springs a leak in the future it will drain under the foundation. Its copper pipe in the system in the ceiling and I think in the basement as well. The house is 47 years old and an inspection will be done before its purchased but I'm not sure if a general inspection will be savvy about this kind of a system. The house is plaster not drywall. I hope you can help me as I am getting concerned as there was water comming from a seam in the foundation. The owner said the leak was comming from an outside french drain.
  • plumbers gal
    Options
    radiant heat

I have radiant heat in the house I live in and intend to buy. Its in the ceiling and basement. Presently the system is not being used in the cellar and the owner tells me not to worry if its turned off,or if it springs a leak in the future, it will drain under the foundation. Its copper pipe in the system in the ceiling and I think in the basement as well. The house is 47 years old and an inspection will be done before its purchased but I'm not sure if a general inspection will be savvy about this kind of a system. The house is plaster not drywall. I hope you can help me as I am getting concerned as there was water comming from a seam in the foundation. The owner said the leak was comming from an outside french drain and put cement over the seam. I just examined the basement floor and there is a damp spot in the cement near the foundation where I think the sprinkler system is hooked into. I am really starting to get concerned. Thank you for any help you can give me regarding this matter.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

Best bet is to get an expert to look at the system. I've seen the old copper radiant systems that were encased in concrete and concrete eats copper over time. Go to find a pro at the top of the page and get it checked correctly before buying. If the system is leaking, repairs are expensive.
  • G Lyons
    G Lyons Member Posts: 36
    Options
    47 years may be beyond it's life span.

See that the pressure is turned to the heating. Have your plumber or radiant heating person do it. This is your last chance to find out if your home has a viable heating system or not. And get prices on the repairs or replacement of the system. That then should be deducted from the price of the house. Find the local contractor who has been in business dating back to those days when the house was built. He needs to have experiance with copper that has been in the wall and floor that long. If the joints were soldered instead of brazedk it would'nt have lasted this long.
    george Lyons
  • plumbers gal
    Options

The orginal owner was the installer. He was a plumbing contractor and this was his home. He has recently passed away. Hopefully I will find someone in his age bracket that know about this system. I want it inspected before I buy it and someone who is savvy about this set-up. Thank you for your speedy reply, you have been a help.
  • Steverino
    Steverino Member Posts: 140
    Options
    radiant

for sure find an expert to check this out. No doubt the copper is failing.
    "Presently the system is not being used in the cellar and the owner tells me not to worry if its turned off,or if it springs a leak in the future it will drain under the foundation." This is not acceptable. Leak under foundatio = erosion = trouble.
    If the fill valve for the boiler was/is left open you'll have fresh makeup water entering your boiler which will shorten the lifespan of your boiler, not to mention more water going under your foundation from the leaky copper tube.
    There was a post not too long ago concerning copper radiant tubing encased in concrete...the was/is a manufacturer that makes a tubing that might fit inside your existing copper. I don't recall if it is recommended (experts, please help me with this one).
    Again, please consult an expert!
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options

"or if it springs a leak in the future it will drain under the foundation"

Why in God's name would you even have anything to do with someone who says something like that...

I have a house with asbestos in the walls and basment, an oil tank buried under the ground, defective wiring, and a hot air furnace with a hole in the heat exchanger, but don't worry it only smells when it is running...and the asbestos dust is easily cleaned with a vacume cleaner...
  • plumbers gal
    Options
    radiant heat

Now that the radiant heat is turned off in the basment of my home, I would like to buy an electric heater for the finished area. How do I calculate how many BTU's I need to heat the room.
  • why the heck

Why the heck u planning to but elec heat in basement where u have PERFECT oppurutiy(sp) to have hot water heat for better comfort as well cheaper...
  • plumbers gal
    Options

I don't know what you mean, I shouldn't buy an electric heater>
This discussion has been closed.