Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is a Modine Heater a good choice for heating a basement?

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
great idea Ed but it does sound a bit dangerous. that condensate is a little hot ,no ? popular science needs you.

Comments

• Ron Wassel
    Ron Wassel Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Is a Modine Heater a good choice for basement heat?

HI, I have a new W/M Steam Furnace with a one pipe system that is now working great because of all of the good advice I got here. Thank you! I now have a new challenge. My old furnace was very inefficient and made the basement extremely warm. It is now extremely cold. It is just a basement - laundry & exercising, but we like it very warm. Would a Modine heater be a good choice for basement heat? This is what my plumber is recommending we have installed. I'm looking for a reasonbly priced way to heat my basement using my new furnace. Thank you. Ron Wassel

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    Options

a baseboard loop would be a better choice.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    baseboard

go with base board heat a modine heater would be loud and it is not the best thing to use.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

I'd agree that baseboard is best, but if this is an unfinished basement maybe the Modine would be best. If your basement is anything like mine, baseboard may not be so easy since there are no finished walls to put it on. The fan coil unit does make noise, but if you aren't watching TV and you don't care that may be easier and possibly cheaper.
  • Christian Egli_2
    Christian Egli_2 Member Posts: 812
    Options
    Look look, it's hot, it's flying, it's a radiator.

Another very attractive proposition is to attach horizontal radiators to the ceiling, that way, they can benefit of the fully simple steam operation. Pure silence, no fan, no pump. Routinely done.

Furthermore, if you glue this basement radiator underneath your kitchen area, you'll have a form of floor heat to keep your feet warm at breakfast time.

Alternately, very simple 2 inch fin tube strapped to the ceiling works without any complication. Proper pitch and proper venting and you're hot.

Lastly, if you have a very draughty basement, the air operated Modine might be a cause for very hot air leaking away before it's had time to warm you up. (That's the whole advantage of radiant heating)
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Like these guys said....

The Modine is noisy, and heating air wouldn't be MY first choice.

I'm gonna take the "heating from the boiler"approach, and suggest some nice cast iron radiators on a loop from the bottom of the boiler.(see Burnham's web site for sizes and types)

With a Bronze pump and some thought as to where they should be placed for comfort, along with a proper thermostat placement, you should be able to keep the spaces you want heated at a reasonably comfortable temp....and keep the "chill" out of the basement.

This assumes that the boiler is sized normaly...which is usually too much anyway. Why go small with so much extra heat available? Chris
  • Chris_82
    Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Modine

They can be a very cost effective way of heating an unoccupied space. Just get the one with the built in thermostat otherwise or the one with the strap on sensor, comes on when the pipes warm up, either way the noise isn't all that bad and they come in a variety of sizes. Ringing a basment with CI baseboard is expensive and the height is dictated by the return, which sometimes means chest high and you can't cross doorways
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Ed Lentz_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options

AS a HO and self installer, I will (at the risk of getting flamed) put in my 2 cents. For one in some cases I am one cheap sucker. I have part of my basement that I use for woodworking, projects. I fashioned a window fan behind a $20 car radiator that is connected to a loop off my boiler (its only about 3' away). Hung it from the ceiling, installed a regular thermostat connected to my Taco zone controller. Looks like hell, works great. There is a lesson here as well. Make sure the transition from copper to the radiator is RADIATOR hose. I was standing right in front of the connector (read cheap rubber) when it blew. Two weeks later after I started to feel better, I used radiator pipe. Was it a stupid mistake? YUP, never to happen again. But for a room that is about 400sq ft it heats up real good. For a workshop it works for now. I also thought about a radiant loop around the room, then considered the dust and come up with this.
  • Ed Lentz_2
    Ed Lentz_2 Member Posts: 158
    Options

I was in a hurry and the really stupid thing is, is I was a mechanic in another life!!!
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Options
    Why Not?

Modine makes many models of fan coil units some with even air filters thermostats etc. You said a steam heat boiler so that can be a little noisy if you go with a steam coil unit You can however fairly easily put a small steam to hot water convertor in and enjoy the comforts of hydronic heat (along with it's quietness)

I would think that baseboard would be a bad choice if the basement is unfinished.Baseboard of the fin-tube (cost effective) style is not going to take alot of abuse!

Modine most certainly has a website.They are based south of here in Racine, WI.

Rich K.

Make Peace Your Passion!
  • Boston
    Boston Member Posts: 71
    Options
    I have on in our garage/basement

They are not silent but not noisy. A small unit heats the basement up real well - baseboars would have been a tough project in my situation. Modine was reasonably priced.

Depends on the application.

In a full finished bsmt, radiant or baseboard is much better. For a workshop of unfinished basement, modine is fine.

That car radiator story is amazing. Sounds like you were lucky. Personally, I would not want anything that could not pass code by the plumbing inspector in my home heating system.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    not unless you like noise.

or have an ample supply of MUPRO clamps :)
This discussion has been closed.