Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ignition problem

Options
Bill_49
Bill_49 Member Posts: 25
Mitch, thank you kindly for the great answer.

Bill

Comments

• Felix Ventura
    Felix Ventura Member Posts: 2
    Options
    IGNITION PROBLEM

EVERY TIME MY BOILER, FURNACE TURNS ON A DAILY BASIS IT MAKES SOME WHAT OF A MINI EXPLOSION WHICH SHAKES THE HOUSE. WHEN IT IGNITES I HEAR A LOUD BOOM AND THEN EVERY THING WORKS WELL. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENS. THIS STARTED HAPPENING ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO..

FELIX VENTURA
  • Steve_35
    Steve_35 Member Posts: 546
    Options
    Time to get that unit serviced!

And why in the heck would you wait 2 weeks? Call someone in. Today.
  • Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    WHOA!!

"IT MAKES SOME WHAT OF A MINI EXPLOSION WHICH SHAKES THE HOUSE."

and you consider a large explosion what??

Get someone there NOW!!!!
  • william_5
    william_5 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    bang

Please have that taken care of asap. right now at could be just a small adjment the down side could be no heat untill you get some one there,frozen pipes or a house full of soot. its not some thing that you can put off
    william
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    service

as said b4 anytime something is not as b4 get it checked probaly the transformer
  • Bill_49
    Options
    Answers

What type of fuel do you use, Natural gas,oil or Propane.

I remember a time when you would have had 20 answers by now on this site.

Bill
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Somewhere in your house...

> What type of fuel do you use, Natural gas,oil or

> Propane.

>

> I remember a time when you would have

> had 20 answers by now on this site.

>

> Bill

is a red switch labeled "Burner Emergency Switch". It looks like a light switch. It may be on your appliance or on the wall by the stairs, or elsewhere in the basement. Turn that switch off NOW, and call a heating professional. Delayed ignition is something that homeowners should not try to deal with! Oil, gas,propane, it does not matter, it's a potentially dangerous situation.
  • BillW@honeywell
    BillW@honeywell Member Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Somewhere in your house...

is a red switch labeled "Burner Emergency Switch". It looks like a light switch. It may be on your appliance or on the wall by the stairs, or elsewhere in the basement. Turn that switch off NOW, and call a heating professional. Delayed ignition is something that homeowners should not try to deal with! Oil, gas,propane, it does not matter, it's a potentially dangerous situation.
  • Steve_35
    Options
    He got the answer he needed almost immediately.

> What type of fuel do you use, Natural gas,oil or

> Propane.

>

> I remember a time when you would have

> had 20 answers by now on this site.

>

> Bill

That was to get someone in there yesterday to fix it. It's not a DIY problem.
  • Steve_35
    Options
    He got the answer he needed almost immediately.

That was to get someone in there yesterday to fix it. It's not a DIY problem.
  • Bill_49
    Options
    Great answer

What are some of the causes for a delayed ignition? What are some of the saftey features for A delayed ignition?

Could this happen with a boiler with a flame roll out.

Bill
  • Mitch_4
    Options
    what causes.

as to 20 answers, when the correct answer is given...nuff said, I added a comment but the initial advice was sound.

As to what can cause delayed ignition: well off the top of my head...

poor maintenance, dirty burner, dirty pilot, bad pilot position, excessive draft, missing panels, mis aligned burners, plugged orifices, incorrect incomming gas pressure, incorrect manifold pressure, incorrect pilot orifice, deformed pilot, incorrect venting, incorrect fuel, improper air/fuel mix, incorrect valve, that is all I could think of in 1 minute..there are more

would a flame roll out stop it?

depends if the flame rolled out. I've seen pool heater doors get blown completely oiff and the flame roll out not react because the heat wasn't enough for long enough, but the concussion...now a noise gate would have caught it..

Mitch
  • Joannie_12
    Joannie_12 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Disagree

"....a mini explosion that shakes the house...."

This is not a question about a funny little noise that he's hearing. This statement would have received the same type of responses that this person is getting, even posted a bunch of years ago. You don't tell a homeowner what "might" be able to cause this, as he's sitting in the house hearing and feeling it. You tell that person to turn the system off and get someone there to evaluate now.

Jeez!
  • Mitch_4
    Options
    Intersting

Felix never came back to say what was wrong, the fix of if the house is standing.

BTW you're welcome Bill
This discussion has been closed.