Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propane formula

lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
Would anyone by chance know the BTU load in propane for a 100 KW generator? I know there is a formula but for the life of me can't remember it. Thank's in advance....

Comments

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    not sure if this is what you need

1 Kw = 3413 btu. Propane is 2500 btu/cubic foot, so 100Kw = (3413 x 100)/ 2500 = 136.52 cubic feet of propane.

mitch
  • Brad White_9
    Brad White_9 Member Posts: 2,440
    Don't forget

to take into account net output versus gross input. The efficiency of most generators is about 50% fuel value to kW ad this varies between manufacturers, the matchup between engine and generator and other variables such as altitude, temperature, etc.

Best bet is to get an actual cut of the generator being proposed or an array of similar generators from several manufacturers. Otherwise it is only a guess.
  • lchmb
    Thanks

Checked with the manufacturer who indicated to size the line based on a little over 3 million btu's. Appreciate the formula, I know it's here someplace but like my memory I can't locate it right now...Thanks again..
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    Lchmb....

Don't forget to ask the gas company if it can handle the load in the area first! (Take a guess how this lesson was learned!) They made need to upgrade the service to the home/business to make sure all and every appliance can run at the same time.

I can't recall offhand what the pressure numbers were, but I seem to remember that 1 particular model neede 7'WC steady, to run at the appropriate load....not too many utilities supply that much. Chris
  • lchmb
    Thanks J.C.A

Thank's for the heads up but if the pressure's are screwed up my boss will kill me.. :) I work for the supplier (propane) and we have set a new tank for this. Thanks for the help... Goes to show just how good this site is..:)
This discussion has been closed.