Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Steam Boiler Question

but everything we've heard about it tells us it's a first-class piece of equipment. Glenn Stanton could give us more detail, but I'd say go for it.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Will_5
    Will_5 Member Posts: 85
    New Burnham Steam vs Others

I have an old American Standard Oil Steam boiler that has seen better days, it produces a small amount a water on the floor for know and I know I'm on borrowed time. I've been reading up on a few different manufactures, Weil Mclain, Peerless and Burnham, the Weil and the Peerless look faily simalar in design but the Burnham looks unique. My question is " Is the Burnham that much more efficient by design?" I've done some reading on three pass boilers and I see that 3-pass water boiler put out much lower exhaust temps. Is this true of a 3-pass steam boiler? My contractor is willing and eager to try one and I just wanted to get some more info.
  • The Burnham Megasteam

What makes the Burnham oil-fired Megasteam boiler different is the path that the flue gasses take through the boiler. This boiler is of 3-pass design where the flue gasses flow horizontally through the boiler and exchange their temperature more effectively as they flow flow into the combustion chamber toward the rear of the boiler, then turn around and take a path through 2 second passes and finally turn around again for a final third pass to the rear of the boiler or canopy connection.

Flue gas temperatures are much lower with these boilers and can be lowered even more with the addition of a pair of stainless steel baffles to exchange even more temperature. Depending on boiler size and chimney draft conditions one could expect to see flue gasses temperature in the low 400°F to higher 300°F range. This will vary on installation conditions and the addition of baffles allows you to fine tune this somewhat. The baffles are included and we leave them up to the contractors discretion.

The other benefit to these boilers versus conventional vertical type flue boilers is that the flue gasses are only in contact with the parts of the boiler casting that are below the water level. This prevents the hot flue gasses from overheating the surfaces that are above the water level or the steam chest and prevents baking water impurities onto the internal boiler surfaces and the possibility of internal corrosion from occuring. Hope this helps.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

U.S. Boiler Co., Inc.
This discussion has been closed.