Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Munchkin Boiler Puffback

Chris_82
Chris_82 Member Posts: 321
Check the fan, with the defective shroud impeller, they don't run as fast as they should. They turn just enough to trip the air flow switch, but not enough to push a over rich mixture thru the burner.

Comments

• Mikeff68
    Mikeff68 Member Posts: 1
    Munchkin Boiler Puffback on start-up

If anyone could help...

I was out to work on a munchkin 80M boiler that has been in for a few years and worked fine. The problem is when the boiler tries to fire it causes a mini explosion in the burner chamber (Which also
    blows out the stove pilot in the kitchen on a different floor). I did check for: Gas leaks on supply Piping,Gaskets,
    Ignitor. This particular unit has the old board and no fault codes flash. The unit does about a 3 second Pre-Purge starts to ramp down to fiting speed then BOOM (It does stay lit and runs fine)I have talked to 2 different Tech Support Reps from HTP. Any help would be very much appriciated.

thanks,
    Mike
  • Al Corelli_2
    Al Corelli_2 Member Posts: 395
    Did you check...

Gas pressure?

For flue/intake pipe obstructions?

Was the unit set up with a good combustion tester?

When was it last cleaned?

What was last changed at about the same time the unit started to act this way?

Did the gas company change anything?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• van_8
    van_8 Member Posts: 12
    puff

sounds like there is moisture in the combustion chamber and the ignitor is shorting out on the refactory try triming the refactory around the ignitor clean boiler and make sure condensate is draining porperly
  • Kevin G_2
    Kevin G_2 Member Posts: 20

Check your incoming gas pressure and the drop on light off. Why would the pilots on the stove upstairs go out. Delayed ignition is what that is. Also check the other things mentioned but don't overlook a defective gas meter.
    Kevin G
  • Dan_37
    Dan_37 Member Posts: 1
    sounds similar to a problem i had............

i found that a section of the gasket at the burner cone base had deteriorated, allowing too much gas to enter from base of burner cone..............I also found a split at one of the 4 screw holes at base of cone as well
  • Lurkin' Murkin'
    Lurkin' Murkin' Member Posts: 136
    Infuences...

Can delayed ignition on one gas appliance cause interference of operation on another, assuming the gas supply pressure regulator is functioning properly? The back-pressure can't go back through the malfunctioning appliance's gas valve, can it - and in this case, they are not vented into the same area?
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    I suspect.....

...that the problems are not related, assuming (as you stated) that gas pressure is not the issue.

Starch
  • Kevin G_2
    Kevin G_2 Member Posts: 20
    gas pressure test needed. not leak test.

He never stated gas pressure was not an issue he said he checked for leaks.
    I have not seen the burner gasket cause a delayed ignition i have seen a burner gasket blow out from delayed ignition although it is possible. to check the burner gasket you can watch the flame through the sight glass and watch for orange flames ocasionally flashing up in front of the sight window. I have seen some of the other things cause delayed ignition.
    Kevin G
This discussion has been closed.